Record-breaking Mia McIntosh leads superb showing for Roundwood Park students at English Indoor Athletics Championship
- Credit: Archant
A Harpenden schoolgirl has wrote herself into the record books with a stunning performance at the U15 England Indoor Athletics Championship.
Mia McIntosh had already ran 8.87 seconds and 8.86 in winning her heat and semi-final of the 60m hurdles but she stepped it up again in the final, claiming gold in a new UK record time of 8.77, two one-hundredths faster than the previous best, set in 2001 by Heather Jones of Carmarthen Harriers.
It is just the latest victory for the talented Roundwood Park School pupil who also won the outdoor 75m hurdles title last year.
It wasn’t the only success either for the school at the Sheffield event.
Josh Woods and Tom Gaunce both claimed bronze medals in the U20 triple jump and U15 800m.
Woods jumped 14.57 metres while Gaunce ran two minutes 6.56 seconds.
All three compete for Dacorum & Tring Athletic Club.
- 1 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 2 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 3 Inquest jury to hear 999 call made as child choked at Radlett nursery
- 4 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
- 5 Comment: Mixed emotions as building work begins
- 6 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 7 The Zombies postpone forthcoming Harpenden tour dates to 2023
- 8 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 9 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 10 Council confirms which Local Plan sites will be dropped