Record-breaking Mia McIntosh leads superb showing for Roundwood Park students at English Indoor Athletics Championship
- Credit: Archant
A Harpenden schoolgirl has wrote herself into the record books with a stunning performance at the U15 England Indoor Athletics Championship.
Mia McIntosh had already ran 8.87 seconds and 8.86 in winning her heat and semi-final of the 60m hurdles but she stepped it up again in the final, claiming gold in a new UK record time of 8.77, two one-hundredths faster than the previous best, set in 2001 by Heather Jones of Carmarthen Harriers.
It is just the latest victory for the talented Roundwood Park School pupil who also won the outdoor 75m hurdles title last year.
It wasn’t the only success either for the school at the Sheffield event.
Josh Woods and Tom Gaunce both claimed bronze medals in the U20 triple jump and U15 800m.
You may also want to watch:
Woods jumped 14.57 metres while Gaunce ran two minutes 6.56 seconds.
All three compete for Dacorum & Tring Athletic Club.
- 1 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 2 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 5 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 6 Anti-vaxers condemned for intimidating behaviour and dangerous posters
- 7 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 8 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 9 Foodies lap up tastes of Harpenden
- 10 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works