Record-breaking Mia McIntosh leads superb showing for Roundwood Park students at English Indoor Athletics Championship
- Credit: Archant
A Harpenden schoolgirl has wrote herself into the record books with a stunning performance at the U15 England Indoor Athletics Championship.
Mia McIntosh had already ran 8.87 seconds and 8.86 in winning her heat and semi-final of the 60m hurdles but she stepped it up again in the final, claiming gold in a new UK record time of 8.77, two one-hundredths faster than the previous best, set in 2001 by Heather Jones of Carmarthen Harriers.
It is just the latest victory for the talented Roundwood Park School pupil who also won the outdoor 75m hurdles title last year.
It wasn’t the only success either for the school at the Sheffield event.
Josh Woods and Tom Gaunce both claimed bronze medals in the U20 triple jump and U15 800m.
You may also want to watch:
Woods jumped 14.57 metres while Gaunce ran two minutes 6.56 seconds.
All three compete for Dacorum & Tring Athletic Club.
- 1 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 2 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 3 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 4 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
- 5 Harpenden retailers call on county to end town centre road closures
- 6 Freedom Day delay is a financial blow to local businesses
- 7 It's showtime at Rothamsted with West End stars performing in 'Musicals at the Manor'
- 8 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 9 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 10 Schoolgirl donates hair to Little Princess Trust