Rampant London Colney leave Oxhey Jets grounded
- Credit: Archant
Free-scoring London Colney continued their rich goalscoring form with a crushing 7-0 win away to Oxhey Jets in the Dudley Latham Memorial Cup.
The Blueboys have now scored 15 in just three games and it could have been more had it not been for a string of fine saves by Jets goalkeeper, Davis Boateng.
Lee Close was the unlikely hero bagging a hat-trick with Jack Woods and Stef Geraldes getting two each.
The Blueboys were three up by half-time.
Close opened the scoring, driving low after a jinking run by Geraldes.
You may also want to watch:
Geraldes was provider again as Woods made it two and Danny Fitzgerald laid on the third for the in-form striker.
Geraldes had an effort cleared off the line early in the second half but the Blueboys were not to be denied, scoring twice in three minutes shortly after.
- 1 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 2 Green light given to new hospital project
- 3 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 4 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 5 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 6 Sustainability is key driver at golf club redevelopment
- 7 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 8 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 9 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
- 10 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
Geraldes nicked it beyond Boateng for 4-0 before Close got his second with a powerful header.
Boateng saved from Charlie Smith and Jon Clements and when he was finally beaten by Smith, the post came to Oxhey’s rescue.
He denied Smith one more time before Close finally made it six, securing his hat-trick in the process.
The cherry on the cake came in injury time from Geraldes.
The win followed a 5-1 Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division success at home to Sun Sports on Saturday.
Woods scored again with braces this time coming from Jon Clements and Charlie Smith.
Colney’s next game is away to Hadley on Saturday.