Rampant London Colney leave Oxhey Jets grounded
- Credit: Archant
Free-scoring London Colney continued their rich goalscoring form with a crushing 7-0 win away to Oxhey Jets in the Dudley Latham Memorial Cup.
The Blueboys have now scored 15 in just three games and it could have been more had it not been for a string of fine saves by Jets goalkeeper, Davis Boateng.
Lee Close was the unlikely hero bagging a hat-trick with Jack Woods and Stef Geraldes getting two each.
The Blueboys were three up by half-time.
Close opened the scoring, driving low after a jinking run by Geraldes.
Geraldes was provider again as Woods made it two and Danny Fitzgerald laid on the third for the in-form striker.
Geraldes had an effort cleared off the line early in the second half but the Blueboys were not to be denied, scoring twice in three minutes shortly after.
- 1 Recap: Rail delays through St Albans and Harpenden after train hits branch
- 2 Fire crews receive 'multiple' 999 calls amid large blaze at Welham Green
- 3 Goods worth more than £260 in total stolen from St Albans Co-op store
- 4 Jubilee garden opened at Harpenden primary school
- 5 Clarence Park deckchairs banned following council concerns
- 6 Teenager ‘robbed at knife-point' by two males in Hemel Hempstead
- 7 St Albans garden centre dedicates fundraising year to Brain Tumour Research
- 8 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
- 9 School's generous donation to foodbank
- 10 Breakaway Theatre Company returns with an enjoyable day at the races in Ladies' Day
Geraldes nicked it beyond Boateng for 4-0 before Close got his second with a powerful header.
Boateng saved from Charlie Smith and Jon Clements and when he was finally beaten by Smith, the post came to Oxhey’s rescue.
He denied Smith one more time before Close finally made it six, securing his hat-trick in the process.
The cherry on the cake came in injury time from Geraldes.
The win followed a 5-1 Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division success at home to Sun Sports on Saturday.
Woods scored again with braces this time coming from Jon Clements and Charlie Smith.
Colney’s next game is away to Hadley on Saturday.