Ram is Chappell’s lucky charm
- Credit: Archant
Lee Chappell knew St Albans City would win Monday’s final against Chesham United for one simple reason: Ram Marwa doesn’t lose play-off games.
City fell behind to a James Potton goal in the seventh minute but fought back to win the game 3-1 thanks to two goals from John Frendo either side of Steve Wales cool finish.
“I think their goal settled us,” he said.
“Everyone was nervous but I kept thinking Rambo doesn’t lose play-off games so I knew we’d be fine. Today was brilliant, absolutely brilliant.”
For Chappell, this season’s supporters’ player of the year, a play-off final win was a long-time coming and making the switch to St Albans from Wealdstone, who gained automatic promotion from the Ryman League, in the summer.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s unbelievable. I lost two semis in a row with Wealdstone and that was heartbreaking so this is fantastic.
“For two games in row we’ve gone away and have the bigger crowd. It shows how big the club, it shouldn’t be in the Southern League, it’s a massive club.”
- 1 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 Diedhiou destroys Casuals' dreams to grab replay for St Albans City
- 4 St Albans City 'got away with it' says boss after snatching FA Cup replay at Corinthian Casuals
- 5 Harpenden's disappearing banks - will Barclays be next?
- 6 Brilliant Breakfast goes down a treat with the women of St Albans
- 7 Harpenden High Street Covid road closures to end imminently
- 8 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 9 Can you help police trace Park Street vandal?
- 10 Haunting music and ghostly maids - the dark streets of St Albans
He added: “I love Wealdstone but I needed a change. I’d been there seven years and I wanted to be closer to home because I got a new job. I’ve know Jim for years and he made me an offer.
“I’ve had chances to go Conference South before but I always wanted to win the Ryman Premier or the Southern League. Thankfully we’ve come here and we’ve battered them. For a brand new team, it’s fantastic.”