Radlett Women’s winning streak ends at 29
Radlett Women’s run of wins came to an end at 29 after a 25-run loss to North London League leaders Ickenham on Sunday.
Their charge for win number 30 wasn’t helped by a lack of availability as they fielded only 10 players, including three U13s.
Skipper Kanchana Gamage won the toss and inserted Ickenham. Katie Pankhust made the breakthrough in the second over and continued to build pressure as she finished with figures of 1-8 from her six overs.
Backed up by Alice Lawman (1-17) and Sarah Evans (3-10), plus two run outs, Radlett were able to contain Ickenham to 99-7 off their 30 overs.
Pankhurst and Amy Price made a good start to Radlett’s reply, putting 40 runs on the board before Ickenham took the first wicket. Price (7) was the batter and when she was followed to the pavilion by Pankhurst (30) it started a monumental collapse.
Radlett were bowled out for 74 and their winning run was over.
The defeat puts Ickenham firmly in pole position for the Division A title. While Radlett can still come out on top if they win their remaining four matches, a further defeat, or any matches lost to rain, will put paid to their challenge.
- 1 Who was the witch of St Albans?
- 2 So why WAS police helicopter flying over St Albans last week?
- 3 Frustration and anger over St Albans school's change to hairstyle and uniform policy
- 4 Wholefoods shop relocates to offer wider range of produce
- 5 Landowners advised to step up security following spike in fly-tipping across Hertfordshire
- 6 St Albans named best in the UK for recycling
- 7 Staying silent: the tight-lipped MP who refuses to answer controversial questions
- 8 St Albans leisure centre launches self-defence classes for girls as young as 12
- 9 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 10 Controversial plans to build quarry in Hatfield scrapped
Though thoroughly dejected by the loss, the Radlett players can look back with immense pride on the run of victories that the squad compiled. They will look to shake off the defeat at home against Wanstead on Sunday.