Radlett rider qualifies for horse of the year show
- Credit: Archant
Radlett horse rider Shannon Mulhern will compete at the SEIB Insurance Brokers Search for a Star Championship finals at the Horse of The Year Show after winning her qualifier.
The 16-year-old, rider mum Diane’s pony Hello Juno, fought off stiff competition from other riders in the class to gain qualification at Bury Farm Equestrian Centre, Buckinghamshire.
The Mulhern family has owned the pretty dun mare for just over a year after buying her from Ireland for Shannon.
“This is the first time she has had a young horse and they’ve done a lot of schooling as Juno had only hunted before we got her,” said Diane. “She can be very stubborn sometimes, we’ve been stuck at a show before for two hours because she wouldn’t load back on to the lorry. At shows she’s brilliant, though. I think she’ll like HOYS.”
The pair have also qualified for the Royal International Horse Show and Equifest this year.
You may also want to watch:
“She got a lovely jump and really enjoys cross country,” said Shannon, who is a student at St Albans Girls’ School and will celebrate her 17th birthday when she is competing at HOYS.
“It’s a dream, I didn’t think it was going to happen. I can’t believe it.”
- 1 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 2 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 3 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 4 Shortages crisis hits district
- 5 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 6 Picture special: Pub in the Park returns to St Albans
- 7 Property Spotlight: A £2m family home on one of Harpenden's most desirable roads
- 8 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 9 St Albans Sirens overcome seasickness to complete charity Channel swim
- 10 Help reunite toy milk jug with new owner