Radlett CC sign New Zealand international
- Credit: Archant
Radlett CC has appointed the New Zealand international Sian Ruck as their first professional female coach to strengthen their women’s section after an all-conquering 2013 season.
Ruck, 30, a left-arm seamer from Wellington, who has made 64 appearances for New Zealand in one-day and twenty20 cricket, flies to Hertfordshire in May to complete a top-rate coaching panel with Shane Burger and Chad Barrett.
Radlett have focused on a rapidly improving women’s section this year to enable them to compete in the top division of the Southern League, using the North London League to widen playing opportunities and development.
Stuart Browne, head of cricket, said: “The women and girls players have become a significant part of the club and we are delighted that Sian has accepted the position of head coach.
“She was one of four players awarded a central contract by New Zealand Cricket last year with a specific emphasis on developing grass roots cricket in Wellington.
You may also want to watch:
He added: “Feedback from a Radlett players survey last year showed that many members wanted access to more coaching opportunities. We also want to put in place coaching programmes that will help youth players develop and enjoy the game of cricket.
“To do this though we need to have more qualified coaches able to help and support all players, young and old.”
- 1 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 2 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 3 St Albans house prices hit record high
- 4 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 5 School buzzing about new Forest School and Hive building
- 6 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 7 Property Spotlight: A family home in Harpenden's sought after East Common
- 8 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 9 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 10 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
Radlett women’s teams won 19 of the 20 matches they played in the Southern and North London leagues last year. Their batting proved overwhelmingly strong, with Alexis Mannion scoring five centuries, and other hundreds came from the England U15 squad player Anna Harris, Hannah Smith and Kathy Morley, plus a 94 by Chloe Jackson.
Any players, male and female, wishing to join Radlett or simply train at the club can contact Charlie Randall on 07770 382127.