Radlett CC sign New Zealand international
- Credit: Archant
Radlett CC has appointed the New Zealand international Sian Ruck as their first professional female coach to strengthen their women’s section after an all-conquering 2013 season.
Ruck, 30, a left-arm seamer from Wellington, who has made 64 appearances for New Zealand in one-day and twenty20 cricket, flies to Hertfordshire in May to complete a top-rate coaching panel with Shane Burger and Chad Barrett.
Radlett have focused on a rapidly improving women’s section this year to enable them to compete in the top division of the Southern League, using the North London League to widen playing opportunities and development.
Stuart Browne, head of cricket, said: “The women and girls players have become a significant part of the club and we are delighted that Sian has accepted the position of head coach.
“She was one of four players awarded a central contract by New Zealand Cricket last year with a specific emphasis on developing grass roots cricket in Wellington.
He added: “Feedback from a Radlett players survey last year showed that many members wanted access to more coaching opportunities. We also want to put in place coaching programmes that will help youth players develop and enjoy the game of cricket.
“To do this though we need to have more qualified coaches able to help and support all players, young and old.”
- 1 LIVE: St Albans and Harpenden A-level results 2022
- 2 'Minor explosions' heard during garage fire near St Albans
- 3 Franco Manca receives licence to serve alcohol in St Albans
- 4 Fresh call for safer crossing on route into city centre
- 5 Person dies after being hit by a train between St Albans and London
- 6 'Get a grip on lawless Charter Market', traders demand in leaked audio
- 7 Body of man in his 40s found in Hemel Hempstead
- 8 Refunds still due for cancelled Herts Fest event
- 9 13-year-old missing from Hemel Hempstead
- 10 St Albans Scout leaders heading to Korean Jamboree
Radlett women’s teams won 19 of the 20 matches they played in the Southern and North London leagues last year. Their batting proved overwhelmingly strong, with Alexis Mannion scoring five centuries, and other hundreds came from the England U15 squad player Anna Harris, Hannah Smith and Kathy Morley, plus a 94 by Chloe Jackson.
Any players, male and female, wishing to join Radlett or simply train at the club can contact Charlie Randall on 07770 382127.