Radlett beat Sawbridgeworth to lift County Cup
- Credit: Archant
Radlett completed a 2013 league and cup double with an eight wicket win over Sawbridgeworth on Sunday.
Yes, you read that right. Twelve months after Radlett won the HCPCL Division Two East they added the County Cup to their ever-growing haul of silverware, which includes this year’s Twenty20 trophy.
Sunday’s match was the final that had been carried over from 2013 after rain had prevented it twice from being staged at the tail end of the last season.
Fielding first, Stuart Browne made the breakthrough in the sixth over by clean bowling Sagar Trivedi for seven before adding Chris Bird (7) to his haul with a yorker that the number three couldn’t dig out.
The next three wickets fell in quick succession as Jono McLean pulled off an unbelievable catch to hand Matt Creese his first wicket and then Kabir Toor trapped Ben Waring and Charlie Mann.
You may also want to watch:
Five overs after the drinks break, Sawbridgeworth were reduced to 88-6 when Fraser Crawford made his first contrubition to the game, pulling on a diving catch to dismiss Andrew McGarry.
Opener Wilson (63) was the last wicket to fall, Shane Burger taking the honours, was Sawbridgeworth were all out for 127.
- 1 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 2 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
- 3 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 4 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 5 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 6 Thunderstorms and possible flooding forecast for St Albans and Welwyn Hatfield area
- 7 7 top tourist attractions to visit in Hertfordshire during the summer holidays
- 8 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 9 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 10 St Albans County Lines crackdown continues with more arrests
In reply, Crawford set the tone by driving Trivedi for four twice through the covers in the first over. Toor (10) was the first to go, run out for 10 before Crawford was caught for 36.
On 58-2, and with McLean (31*) and Burger (40*) at the crease, Radlett reached the target with no further alarms to finally lift the 2013 County Trophy.
And, McLean’s side are still in pole position to lift the first ever Saracens Herts Premeir Division title. On Saturday they beat Stevenage by 10 wickets in their penultimate game before the play-offs begin.