PSV cruise into semi finals
Aubrey Cup quarter final Park Street Village 2 Bushey Rangers 1 PARK Street Village made it to the semi finals of a cup competition for the third time this season, with a 2-1 win over Bushey Rangers in the Aubrey Cup. Matt Newman jinked his way through th
Aubrey Cup quarter final
Park Street Village 2 Bushey Rangers 1
PARK Street Village made it to the semi finals of a cup competition for the third time this season, with a 2-1 win over Bushey Rangers in the Aubrey Cup.
Matt Newman jinked his way through the Bushey defence and calmly slotted home to give PSV the lead after just three minutes.
Two minutes later Ant Burns hit a shot that cannoned off the crossbar but no Village player could get the final touch to stab the ball over the line.
With fifteen minutes on the clock Pete Hanson slid the ball into Andy Murphy and he kept his cool to fire past the goalkeeper.
- 1 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 2 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 3 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 4 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 5 Inquest jury to hear 999 call made as child choked at Radlett nursery
- 6 Comment: Mixed emotions as building work begins
- 7 Green light given for St Albans City to hit the transfer market but patience is key says Allinson
- 8 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 9 'Visually striking' Chaos Dancing Cosmos installation at St Albans Museum + Gallery
- 10 Obituary: Don Francis, former St Albans City and St Albans Sunday League star
Village remained in control until 15 minutes from time when Bushey pulled a goal back when Peter Murphy capitalised on poor defending from Park Street.
Boss Ryan Thompson said: "We were pleased with it. They sat quite deep.
"It wasn't the prettiest of games. The pitch is rock hard and the ball was bouncing all over the place. It was too easy for the lads; that's no disrespect to Bushey, they worked really hard.
"With 15 minutes to go we conceded a real shocker of a goal which is becoming a weekly thing."
Village now face a tough trip to Met Police Bushey on Saturday and Thompson says his players have to fight for their cup final places.
"We've got two tough fixtures on the bounce with Met Police and London Lions.
"The league has gone for us now, Met Police only need five or six points to win the league but it would be nice to beat them; they've only lost two games all season.
"The lads have got to fight for the cup final places. That was the team talk at the weekend.
"The incentive is to get to two cup finals so that everyone gets a game otherwise I've got to tell two or three players they're not even getting a shirt. It's down to the lads."
PSV: Kerby, T.Burns, Wright, C.Day, Thompson, A.Burns, Newman, Woodruff, Hill, Murphy, Hanson. Subs: M.Day, Ruck, McCarthy, Seeby, Shackell.