Prospect Farrell makes record-breaking debut
OWEN Farrell became the youngest player in the history of the EDF Energy Cup and Guinness Premiership when he made his Saracens debut against Llanelli Scarlets on Saturday. After making the first team during pre-season, Owen, aged 17
OWEN Farrell became the youngest player in the history of the EDF Energy Cup and Guinness Premiership when he made his Saracens debut against Llanelli Scarlets on Saturday.
After making the first team during pre-season, Owen, aged 17, was one of six players to earn a competitive debut when he came off the bench in the cup clash which Saracens lost 17-26 at Vicarage Road, Watford.
Owen, son of England international Andy Farrell who is currently out injured, attends Sixth Form at St George's School in Harpenden and is studying for A-Levels in Business Studies, PE and Graphic Design.
Saracens director of rugby Eddie Jones praised the young centre for his attitude and desire to make progress in the sport. He said: "He's very mature and gets on with it. He's got the right sort of attitude and a good appreciation of what is going on around him."
You may also want to watch:
Before the match, father Andy, who also plays for Saracens, hailed Owen for earning his place in the first team squad. He said: "There's quite a bit of excitement in the Farrell household at the moment. He's been working very hard to combine his rugby and school commitments and that has meant a lot of early starts to get to training."
At 17-years and 11-days-old, Owen beat the previous record held by current England international Danny Cipriani who was aged 17-years and 47-days when he featured for Wasps at Bristol in the Powergen Cup in December 2004.
- 1 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 2 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 3 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 4 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 5 Harpenden's Olympic hero watches daughter win gold
- 6 Bee inspired by new display at St Albans restaurant
- 7 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 8 Area Guide: The popular Highfield area of St Albans
- 9 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 10 Why has it taken so long for Young's to open St Albans pub?