Promotion dreams dashed for St Albans Hockey
- Credit: Archant
St Albans Hockey Club men saw their promotion dreams dashed by the width of a post.
The top of the table East League Premier A Division game against Wapping ended 1-1 in front of a vibrant crowd at Oaklands.
Unable to convert their early dominance into goals the Tangerines fell behind just before the break when a Wapping penalty corner deflected off a defender’s stick into the net.
A spirited fightback saw David Williams equalise in the second half but the St Albans promotion dream faded as their last ditch penalty corner agonisingly hit the post.
Meanwhile, the ladies returned to winning ways with a glorious team display at Chelmsford.
With captain Ellie Watton returning from international duty, and getting herself on the scoresheet, St Albans ran out 4-1 winners.
Emily Panniers, Hayley Payne and Sarah Embrey grabbed the other goals.
- 1 So why WAS police helicopter flying over St Albans last week?
- 2 Frustration and anger over St Albans school's change to hairstyle and uniform policy
- 3 Staying silent: the tight-lipped MP who refuses to answer controversial questions
- 4 Who was the witch of St Albans?
- 5 Wholefoods shop relocates to offer wider range of produce
- 6 Removing asbestos from Arena will cost £250,000
- 7 St Albans named best in the UK for recycling
- 8 More harsh truths in the St Albans City dressing room as mistakes cost them at Chippenham
- 9 Landowners advised to step up security following spike in fly-tipping across Hertfordshire
- 10 'Entertaining and moving' dark comedy After Electra coming to the Abbey Theatre stage
The mens 3rds, already crowned as London League Division Four champions, beat Spencer 2-0 while the Ladies 4ths, Ladies 3rds and Mens Praetorians respectively thumped Harpenden, Colchester and Old Loughts Senior Vets, with ascending scores of 5-1, 6-1 and 7-1.