Promotion dreams dashed for St Albans Hockey
- Credit: Archant
St Albans Hockey Club men saw their promotion dreams dashed by the width of a post.
The top of the table East League Premier A Division game against Wapping ended 1-1 in front of a vibrant crowd at Oaklands.
Unable to convert their early dominance into goals the Tangerines fell behind just before the break when a Wapping penalty corner deflected off a defender’s stick into the net.
A spirited fightback saw David Williams equalise in the second half but the St Albans promotion dream faded as their last ditch penalty corner agonisingly hit the post.
Meanwhile, the ladies returned to winning ways with a glorious team display at Chelmsford.
You may also want to watch:
With captain Ellie Watton returning from international duty, and getting herself on the scoresheet, St Albans ran out 4-1 winners.
Emily Panniers, Hayley Payne and Sarah Embrey grabbed the other goals.
- 1 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 2 Shortages crisis hits district
- 3 Picture special: Pub in the Park returns to St Albans
- 4 St Albans school adopts new wellbeing app
- 5 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 6 Neighbouring councils reject Bowmans Cross development
- 7 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 8 Forging ahead for hospice care
- 9 Help reunite toy milk jug with new owner
- 10 Property Spotlight: A £2m family home on one of Harpenden's most desirable roads
The mens 3rds, already crowned as London League Division Four champions, beat Spencer 2-0 while the Ladies 4ths, Ladies 3rds and Mens Praetorians respectively thumped Harpenden, Colchester and Old Loughts Senior Vets, with ascending scores of 5-1, 6-1 and 7-1.