Promotion dreams dashed for St Albans Hockey
- Credit: Archant
St Albans Hockey Club men saw their promotion dreams dashed by the width of a post.
The top of the table East League Premier A Division game against Wapping ended 1-1 in front of a vibrant crowd at Oaklands.
Unable to convert their early dominance into goals the Tangerines fell behind just before the break when a Wapping penalty corner deflected off a defender’s stick into the net.
A spirited fightback saw David Williams equalise in the second half but the St Albans promotion dream faded as their last ditch penalty corner agonisingly hit the post.
Meanwhile, the ladies returned to winning ways with a glorious team display at Chelmsford.
You may also want to watch:
With captain Ellie Watton returning from international duty, and getting herself on the scoresheet, St Albans ran out 4-1 winners.
Emily Panniers, Hayley Payne and Sarah Embrey grabbed the other goals.
- 1 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 2 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 3 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 4 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 5 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 6 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 7 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
- 8 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 9 Invincible London Colney youngsters complete incredible first season
- 10 Harpenden retailers call on county to end town centre road closures
The mens 3rds, already crowned as London League Division Four champions, beat Spencer 2-0 while the Ladies 4ths, Ladies 3rds and Mens Praetorians respectively thumped Harpenden, Colchester and Old Loughts Senior Vets, with ascending scores of 5-1, 6-1 and 7-1.