Promising Harpenden runner gets tutoring from Dame Kelly Holmes
James McMurray selected for Future Stars with Kelly education day
ATHLETICS: HARPENDEN middle-distance star James McMurray was able to learn from double Olympic gold medallist Dame Kelly Holmes at a recent Future Stars with Kelly education day.
James was invited to the event at Loughborough University, along with his parents and coach, as a result of his outstanding performance at the Aviva English School Championships this summer.
The Education Day aimed to educate them about making a successful transition from junior to senior athletics through a variety of workshops and the athletes were put through their paces by Dame Kelly herself in tough fartlek and circuit training sessions.
There were also workshops on topics such as 100 per cent me anti-doping and injury prevention. There were also specific workshops for coaches and parents to assist them in the support of their athletes.
Dame Kelly said: “The ‘Future Stars with Kelly’ Education Day was a great success. We had a brilliant turn out of athletes, coaches and parents and I hope they’ve all learnt something from the day. James really got stuck in and applied himself well in all the workshops. I hope the day has taught the ‘Future Stars’ how to overcome challenging situation that they may fact both in and away from athletics during their teenage transition from junior to senior athletics.”
Later in the day all participants were welcomed to a Q & A session with Hannah England, World Championships 1500m silver medallist, and Emma Jackson, World Championships 800m semi- finalist, both ‘On Camp with Kelly’ athletes.
- 1 Is this the future of hospitality in St Albans?
- 2 Teen punched in face and stomach during robbery
- 3 Bank cards stolen from elderly woman
- 4 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 5 What next for Alban Arena and city centre culture?
- 6 IN PICTURES: Alban Pilgrimage returns to city
- 7 St Albans Beer and Cider Festival set to return after two years
- 8 Fight to save village Green Belt from development
- 9 Hybrid Charter Market agreed for St Albans
- 10 Remembering 'Mr Harpenden' - the indomitable Michael Weaver
James said: “The ‘Future Stars with Kelly Education Day has been a great experience that will help me with my future within the sport.
“I have learnt all about supplements and banned substances, had the chance to train with athletes of the same standard and socialise with new people. I now aim to have a successful cross country season and win a medal at a major championship.”