PREVIEW: Pre-season is over and St Albans City are ready for Ware
- Credit: Archant
St Albans City begin the competitive season tonight away at Ware in the first round of the Herts Charity Cup.
It’s a re-run of last year’s first round tie, which the Saints won 4-1 thanks to goals from Loick Pires, Elliot Buchanan and Steve Wales.
It’s been a long, 10-game pre-season for the Saints, and joint manager James Gray, for one, can’t wait to get the season going.
“Pre-season is a little bit drawn out but every manager will tell you the same: it’s non-competitive and you’re trying to learn as much as you can in a short space of time to get everything right for [the first game of the season],” he explained.
Gray and Graham Golds, joint managers, will have a full squad at their disposal for the tie, with Joe Welch and Luke Allen back in the fold after absences and Lee Chappell returning from a slight knock against Hitchin Town. The only player missing will be Danny Green, who has a broken nose.
You may also want to watch:
After last season’s 13th-placed finish in the National League South, and with a tough opening fixture at Gosport Borough on Saturday, the Saints would be forgiven for treating tonight’s game as another friendly and blooding a lot of players from this season’s reserve squad, which will play in SSML Division Two. Gray doesn’t intend to do that, though.
“We’re going to send a good, strong side down to Ware. It’s a competitive game and I want to win it. I want to win the cup,” he said.
- 1 St Albans school teacher recognised with national award
- 2 Market gazebo trial delayed as council admits it cannot fund scheme
- 3 Home-owners' frustration over lack of action to tackle street flooding
- 4 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 5 Pupils pause to play at St Albans primary school
- 6 Motorists who kill cats should be prosecuted, says St Albans family after pet's death
- 7 Twice the yumminess from St Albans baking company
- 8 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 9 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 10 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
City haven’t won the cup since the 2012/13 season, when they beat Bishop’s Stortford 3-2 at Clarence Park.