Preview: OAs need to recapture dominance shown against Ealing
- Credit: Coventry Telegraph
Old Albanian have made a disappointing start to this new season and it would be charitable to put this down to injuries to key players or new squad members finding their feet, writes Brian Quinn.
Naturally these factors would have made themselves felt.
However, Billy Johnson’s men have already demonstrated in no uncertain terms what they are capable of when they seize a game by the scruff of the neck. Against Ealing, and having conceded over 30 points, OAs put together a 20-minute passage of play which a bemused Trailfinders outfit had literally no answer to. Twenty-four points resulted, including three tries, two by the captain himself.
That match, though eventually lost, demonstrated what is possible; there was certainly no element of luck involved. This was the cold application of excellence by experts on top of their game. It bore little relation to the fare served up at Coventry last weekend, of which enough said.
It should be evident that every team aspires to greatness within its own parameters and hopes to achieve the best possible. This demolition of vaunted visitors, though only 20 minutes long, should inspire OAs in each remaining encounter of the season.
You may also want to watch:
Blackheath, or “Club” as they like to call themselves, are the second oldest rugby club in the world and visit Woollams next Saturday. They, like OAs have not had the best of starts this year. It is well within OA’s power to take control as they did for that short time a fortnight ago.
It is a matter of belief.
- 1 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 2 Fashionistas flock to Cathedral catwalk extravaganza
- 3 Light at the end of the gulley for long-running flooding
- 4 Girls 'followed' by men in red Range Rover at 2am in city centre
- 5 Market trader says goodbye to beard after 15 years
- 6 St Albans named among UK's most family-friendly cities
- 7 Birthday charity walks in brother's memory
- 8 Can you help after man left unconscious outside St Albans pub?
- 9 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 10 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?