Praise for former Harpenden pupil, Six Nations star Maro Itoje
- Credit: PA
England coach Eddie Jones has paid tribute to former Harpenden schoolboy Maro Itoje after a man-of-the-match performance for England against Wales at Twickenham.
Jones had challenged the St George’s man to upgrade from a Vauxhall Viva but after a sensational performance in the 25-21 success, the head coach joked: “He’s a BMW now.
“He’s worked very hard on his game and he’s done everything we’ve asked him to work on.
“It was a very good performance from him. He and George Kruis could lock the scrum for a long time for England.”
What was most impressive about the 21-year-old’s performance was it was only his third appearance, and just his second start.
You may also want to watch:
And the man himself says he believes he is part of a special team after helping them win the Triple Crown, setting up a potential Grand Slam against France on Saturday night.
Speaking on englandrugby.com he said: “I’m enjoying myself at the moment.
- 1 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 2 St Albans school teacher recognised with national award
- 3 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 4 Home-owners' frustration over lack of action to tackle street flooding
- 5 Market gazebo trial delayed as council admits it cannot fund scheme
- 6 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 7 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 8 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 9 Pupils pause to play at St Albans primary school
- 10 11 things you might not know about St Albans' new Mayor
“I’m fortunate to be part of such a special team, we have an opportunity to do something special and now we are focused on next week.
“The coaches have been very helpful. The first couple of weeks they were hard on me and I think they were right to be so, but they’ve helped me every step of the way and I am very grateful.”