Povey into next round
Golf by Alan Booth GRAHAM POVEY is the only Herts amateur to win through a qualifying round for a place in the Open Championship, to be played at Turnberry from July 16-19. He is joined by two former county players, now professionals, Tom Haylock and Ja
Golf by Alan Booth
GRAHAM POVEY is the only Herts amateur to win through a qualifying round for a place in the Open Championship, to be played at Turnberry from July 16-19.
He is joined by two former county players, now professionals, Tom Haylock and James Jankowski, who competed in regional qualifying, Povey and Haylock at Abridge in Essex and Jankowski at Old Fold Manor, and now go through to final qualifying at courses close to the Open venue next Monday and Tuesday.
Povey, from Brickendon Grange, a former Herts order of merit winner and leading qualifier for the recent county championship, won through at Abridge in style, a round of 70 giving him top place by two strokes in a field of 90 players. Former Herts Colts champion Tom Haylock (The Hertfordshire), now professional, also joined him with a round of 73 for third place.
You may also want to watch:
Only 10 places were on offer and among amateurs who missed out were former Herts Boys and Colts champion Glen Portelli (Brickendon Grange), with 78. and pro Luke Gutteridge (Porters Park) 77.
At Old Fold Manor former amateur James Jankowski (Potters Bar), with 69 for third place and former Herts Amateur champion Carl Duke (unattached) with 70 were the only Herts players to qualify, though Michael Moore (Porters Park) gained a reserve place on 72.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game
- 4 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 5 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 6 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 7 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 8 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 9 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 10 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
Amateurs Ryan Newman (Brookmans Park), 72, former Boys champion James Watts (East Herts), 73, Jason Court (Sandy Lodge), recent Herts Championship finalist, 73, former county champion Tom Shadbolt (Mid Herts), 77, and Christopher Barnes (Mill Green), 81, failed to qualify, along with Ashridge professional Peter Cherry, 72.
Former county players now pros to miss out included former Colts champion James Ruebotham (Welwyn Garden City), 74, former Herts champion Robert Leonard (Mid Herts) 75, and James Conteh (Moor Park) 74.
In final qualifying next Monday and Tuesday when only the top four at each course go into the Open, Povey and Haylock are first on the tee at 7am at Glasgow Gailes and Western Gailes respectively, and 10.22 the next day. Jankowski tees off at Kilmarnock Barassie at 12.27 Monday, and 09.05 the next day.