Plenty of Christmas cheer for nine-try Harpenden over Stockwood Park
- Credit: Archant
Harpenden’s upturn in fortunes continued with a convincing 59-10 win at London North West Two bottom club Stockwood Park.
It was the third success on the bounce for the Redbourn Lane rugby club and lifts them into fifth place.
They are still not out of the woods as far as a relegation battle goes, standing just eight points ahead of second-bottom Welwyn, but this nine-try demolition went a long way in dispelling them.
Nick Childs got three, Adam Wilkinson two and there was one each for Ed Preston, Ollie Mann, Ash Smith and Harry Hutchins with Ollie Brown converting seven of them.
They were boosted prior to kick-off by a number of players returning from injury and with a much more settled side they tore into the Luton side from the off.
Even the loss of an interception try on 10 minutes didn’t dampen the determined running of the backs and three tries, one of which was converted, were added to give Harpenden a 17-5 half-time lead.
As in the first half, Park got the first score after the break as their heavy pack rumbled over following a line-out.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 3 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 4 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 5 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 6 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
- 7 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 8 St Albans hockey player still going strong at 80
- 9 Caretakers of creation: church's work protecting environment
- 10 Area Guide: The busy Hertfordshire town of Hemel Hempstead
But while the hosts could boast a bigger pack, Harpenden had grease lightning in the backs and six further tries were ran in, all of which were converted.
Harpenden will hope to continue their Christmas cheer into the new year when they host Hammersmith & Fulham, one of the sides they leapfrogged in the table, on January 7.