Phoenix athletes show well in tough meet
THE Herts Phoenix youngsters took on Cambridge Harriers, Lewes AC and Eastbourne in the National Young Athletes League meeting at Lee Valley on Sunday. The Under 17s led the way with a number of double victories and they dominated the sprint events.
THE Herts Phoenix youngsters took on Cambridge Harriers, Lewes AC and Eastbourne in the National Young Athletes League meeting at Lee Valley on Sunday.
The Under 17s led the way with a number of double victories and they dominated the sprint events.
In the Under 15s Phoenix also picked up a number of first places while in the Under 13s Mary Gough and Megan Breen won the two 800m races in style. Megan also finished second in the shot putt B string.
The revelation of the day was the magnificent performance of the Under 13s boys as the squad put in some superb displays.
You may also want to watch:
Earlier this month, in their opening National Young Athletes League match of the campaign Phoenix impressed at Bexley.
Millie Lundgren, from St Albans, claimed a second place with a throw of over 20m in the Under 17s discus. Millie also took part in the 4 x 100m relay and helped the squad take first place.
- 1 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 2 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 3 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 4 Green light given to new hospital project
- 5 Lost Morecambe & Wise episode to be screened on TV for first time in 50 years
- 6 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 7 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 8 History comes to life at Celtic Harmony in Hertfordshire
- 9 Sustainability is key driver at golf club redevelopment
- 10 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
The Phoenix squad competed well on a warm afternoon against strong opposition from home club Bexley, Newham and Essex Beagles and Thames Valley Harriers. Although affected by withdrawals due to the Bank Holiday the boys and girls teams fared well.