Penny and Broom set for Nike Junior Tennis Championships
St. Albans’ Jake Penny and Charles Broom have made the singles draw of the Nike Junior National Tennis Championships.
The tournament starts on Monday, August 28 and Penny and Broom will be up against some of the best players in the country as they all battle for the most prestigious accolade in national junior tennis:
Penny is in the U14 boys’ singles while Broom will compete in the U18 singles competition. Both will be held at the Nottingham Tennis Centre.
The Nike Junior Tennis Championships are the highest level competition for all juniors and the pinnacle of the summer domestic calendar. The tournament features more than 250 players across four age groups and is a showcase for British tennis and the best junior talent in the country.
The Nike Junior Nationals have been running for over 100 years and has an illustrious line of past winners including Andy Murray, Heather Watson, Tim Henman, Elena Baltacha, and Anne Keothavong.
You may also want to watch:
Speaking ahead of the tournament, Shanti Patel, the tournament director said: “The Nike Junior Nationals are the highest level of domestic competition for any British junior player. The standard of competition is always high and offers a great opportunity for players to test their abilities against the very best in their age group in the country.”
Richard Callaway, the Nike UK sports marketing director added: “We are delighted to support the pinnacle of junior competition which are the Nike Junior National Tennis Championships. The young players competing next week in Nottingham and Bournemouth are the future of the sport in Britain and we are really looking forward to a great week of tennis.”
- 1 Can you help after man left unconscious outside St Albans pub?
- 2 Lease up for grabs on vacant Batchwood Hall building
- 3 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 4 Birthday charity walks in brother's memory
- 5 Driver hospitalised after three-vehicle accident on M1 near Redbourn
- 6 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 7 Light at the end of the gulley for long-running flooding
- 8 Pupils' brighter walk to school thanks to developer
- 9 Market trader says goodbye to beard after 15 years
- 10 St Albans MP vows to fight developer 'free for all' to protect Herts Green Belt
The tournament runs from Sunday, August 18 to Friday, August 22 and is held simultaneously at the Nottingham Tennis Centre and the West Hants Club, Bournemouth.
For more information on the tournament go to www.lta.org.uk/players-parents/Competition/Nike-Junior-Nationals/Home/