Penalty shoot-out heartbreak as St Albans City Youth lose U16 girls County Cup final
- Credit: Archant
There was heartbreak for St Albans City Youth U16 girls as they lost 3-2 on penalties to Watford in the final of the County Cup.
It was a disappointing end to what was a tremendous game of football that had finished 1-1 after extra time.
Watford had broken the deadlock in the first half with a header but the St Albans Girls were level by the break thanks to a superb long range shot from Mia Pinkham.
City found themselves under pressure in the second half from a well organised Watford side but a strong defence and outstanding performance from goalkeeper Nicole Gair denied them a vital second goal.
Extra time saw chances at both ends and there was concern for Saints’ Abbie Scalon who had to be stretchered off with a severe ankle sprain.
You may also want to watch:
Gair pulled off two saves in the shoot-out and Pinkham and Maz Horne-Batet were both successful but Watford were just able to edge home.
The players of the match were Anna Gifford and Katie Weaver.
- 1 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 2 Urgent care upgrade at St Albans City Hospital moves ahead
- 3 Driver disqualified after St Albans crash
- 4 Harpenden couple donate vital equipment for maternity ward
- 5 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 6 Harpenden card cloning suspects arrested
- 7 6 of the best places to hot tub in and around Hertfordshire
- 8 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 9 Diedhiou destroys Casuals' dreams to grab replay for St Albans City
- 10 Property Spotlight: A detached home on one of St Albans' most desirable streets