Penalty shoot-out heartbreak as St Albans City Youth lose U16 girls County Cup final
- Credit: Archant
There was heartbreak for St Albans City Youth U16 girls as they lost 3-2 on penalties to Watford in the final of the County Cup.
It was a disappointing end to what was a tremendous game of football that had finished 1-1 after extra time.
Watford had broken the deadlock in the first half with a header but the St Albans Girls were level by the break thanks to a superb long range shot from Mia Pinkham.
City found themselves under pressure in the second half from a well organised Watford side but a strong defence and outstanding performance from goalkeeper Nicole Gair denied them a vital second goal.
Extra time saw chances at both ends and there was concern for Saints’ Abbie Scalon who had to be stretchered off with a severe ankle sprain.
You may also want to watch:
Gair pulled off two saves in the shoot-out and Pinkham and Maz Horne-Batet were both successful but Watford were just able to edge home.
The players of the match were Anna Gifford and Katie Weaver.
- 1 Which St Albans nursery has been voted best in the East of England?
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 In pictures: First Comedy Garden is a complete laughfest
- 4 St Albans named among England's most expensive property hotspots
- 5 Parents condemn Oaklands' decision to close nursery as a 'travesty'
- 6 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 7 London Colney in 'a good place' as they look for a season of redemption
- 8 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 9 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 10 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire