Parkinson goal nets Colney all three points
Striker’s first half goal enough to give Blueboys victory
SSML Division One
Bedford 0 London Colney 1
A SOLITARY goal from Dave Parkinson helped London Colney get back to winning ways away at Bedford.
The striker struck just before half-time to give the managerless Blueboys all three points and get them back on track after last week’s disappointing results against Ampthill Town and Buckingham Athletic.
You may also want to watch:
Bedford’s Liam Tinkler had a low drive beaten away by Johnny Armand and Ian Thorne tested the Colney defence with a couple of teasing crosses that Mark Paradise dealt with.
Danny Fitzgerald, Russell Gallagher and Parkinson all saw shots blocked by the Bedford defence as the Blueboys pushed for the opener.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 2 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 3 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 4 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 5 Shortages crisis hits district
- 6 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 7 Area Guide: The quaint Hertfordshire village of Piccotts End
- 8 Harpenden Food and Drink Festival returns after six years
- 9 Property Spotlight: A £2m family home on one of Harpenden's most desirable roads
- 10 Picture special: Pub in the Park returns to St Albans
A Dan McCafferty throw in found Parkinson in space but his curling shot flew the wrong side of the post. The duo linked up soon after but Parkinson’s effort was deflected behind by the outstretched leg of goalkeeper Fred Hester.
Sam Mitchell teed up Fitzgerald but his effort was deflected wide and Kenny Hull was unable to connect with Mitchell’s low cross into the six yard box.
Jamie Morris went close on two occasions for Bedford but both times his efforts flew over the bar.
London Colney had a major let off when a mistake by Kenny Hull let in Paul Fisher but to the Blueboys relief his shot came back off the post.
With two minutes to go to the interval the Blueboys broke the deadlock.
A kick out from Hester was headed back goalwards by McCafferty and Parkinson ran onto the loose ball and slotted home for his sixth goal of the season.
For all the chances they created in the first half Colney were unable to add to their lead after the break instead relying on their defence to shut out the home side.
A header from Rick Lawrence was cleared off the line by Mitchell and Rick Pearce had a firm effort saved by Armand.
Colney veteran Dave Townsend flashed a shot just wide of Hester’s upright but disaster nearly struck when Jeyaratnam sliced the ball towards his own goal.
Thankfully for the visitors though the ball went over the bar.
The Blueboys welcome Bedford Town Reserves to Cotlandswick.
Colney: Armand; Hull, McCafferty, Paradise, Murphy, Shaw, Fitzgerald (Townsend), Mitchell, Stevens, Parkinson, Gallagher (Jeyaratnam). Subs not used: Butcher, Thompson.
* The Reserves lost 3-2 to Hadley in the Herts Intermediate Cup with Nathan Hilaire and Marc Farrow scoring for Colney.
Albie Norris scored for London Colney Blues as they lost 6-1 to Bishop’s Stortford Swifts also in the Intermediate Cup.
* On Tuesday evening the Reserves went down to two early goals at Holmer Green.