Oxford move for Cent Stevens
- Credit: Archant
ST Albans Centurions hooker George Stevens has signed for newly-formed professional rugby league outfit Oxford Spires.
Stevens, who can also play loose forward, has previously played for the West London Sharks, Hemel Stags and, for the last three seasons, St Albans Centurions.
He also represented ‘London and the South’ from U12 through to U18 and is a product of the the Harlequins Rugby Foundation.
The 21-year-old is currently taking a degree at Wolverhampton University.
“George stood out in the trials, is good with ball in hand, he is excellent at building momentum and getting the team going forwards and he defended very well,” said Oxford coach Tony Benson. “St Albans’ loss will be our gain”.
You may also want to watch:
George said of his move to the club: “I’m really glad to have joined Oxford, and to have been selected from the players who trialled, because in the games that I played in there was some real quality players.
“St Albans are a great club, I’d recommend them to anyone. But now I am looking forward to the season ahead. My aims are to first of all get into the starting 13. When I’ve done that I want to be able to hold my position.”
- 1 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 4 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
- 5 Revealed: The areas of Hertfordshire with the most consistent house price growth
- 6 St Albans violent crime: Recreational drug users 'feeding' County Lines
- 7 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 8 In Pictures: Harpenden Farmers' Market back on the Common
- 9 Cheers! Great Northern pub set to host beer and cider festival
- 10 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe