Oxford City deliver stiff Boxing Day blow to St Albans City’s promotion hopes
- Credit: Archant
Punch drunk St Albans City suffered a blow to their Vanarama National League South promotion hopes with a 4-2 Boxing Day defeat at home to Oxford City.
Jamie Cureton’s first goals in City colours were not enough as Jefferson Louis scored twice and James Roberts and Reece Fleet once to inflict the Clarence Park side’s second defeat in a row.
Saints looked sluggish early on and were 3-0 down in 25 minutes.
Cureton though brought City back to within a goal at half-time, pouncing after a mistake from the visiting keeper for his first and shooting low underneath Tyrell Belford for number two.
And despite the introduction of Louie Theophanous and Sam Merson form the bench, Oxford grabbed the clinching goal through Louis.
You may also want to watch:
It wasn’t the send off Junior Morias wanted, the St Albans striker playing in his last game before a move to Sky Bet League One Peterborough United.
The summer signing from Boreham Wood did receive a thunderous ovation when he was substituted with just under 20 minutes to go.
- 1 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 2 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 3 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 4 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 5 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 6 Our local wildlife needs your voice!
- 7 Staff member assaulted at St Albans City FC match
- 8 St Albans Fireworks Spectacular returns to Verulamium Park for 2021 display
- 9 Apply for free tickets to be in the audience of The Masked Singer UK in Hertfordshire
- 10 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
City will hope for a much better performance in his absence on New Year’s Day when the teams meet again in Oxfordshire.