‘Oxford City are the best team we’ve come up against’, says Gray
- Credit: Archant
St Albans City joint manager James Gray called Oxford City the best team he has seen at Clarence Park since he took over after Monday’s night’s 3-1 loss.
Oxford, who were transfered to National League South from the northern division, scored goals through Kynan Isaac, Ander Del Alamo and Bradley Bubb.
Their passing game was superb and every single outfield was incredibly comfortable on the ball.
“For me, Oxford City are the best that have been to Clarence Park since I’ve been involved,” said Gray. “They are well drilled, well organised and very comfortable on the ball.
“We were second best for the majority of the night and the boys were full tilt. We lost to the better side so I’ve got no complaints. We could have made it closer if we’d have had more quality but they didn’t let us.
You may also want to watch:
“I’d be surprised if they weren’t up there [in the league] from that showing.”
Gray refused to be too downbeat following the defeat, which leaves the Saints with one point from two games.
- 1 Which St Albans nursery has been voted best in the East of England?
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 In pictures: First Comedy Garden is a complete laughfest
- 4 St Albans named among England's most expensive property hotspots
- 5 Parents condemn Oaklands' decision to close nursery as a 'travesty'
- 6 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 7 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 8 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 9 London Colney in 'a good place' as they look for a season of redemption
- 10 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
“When you come up against a side like that you think ‘this is how I want us to be’ but we have no divine right to do that,” he said. “Until we can get close to sides like that then we’re always going to be struggling.
“I can’t fault the boys’ application or effort but they came up short with quality. It’s disappointing but Oxford will be a top six side for sure.”