Owen Farrell tips Maro Itoje to make a huge impact for England
- Credit: Archant
England rugby star Owen Farrell is looking forward to life under new coach Eddie Jones – and has tipped his Saracens team-mate Maro Itoje to make a huge impact.
The fly-half was part of the 33-man squad announced by Jones on Wednesday (13).
But for Itoje, who like Farrell and fellow fly-half George Ford went to St George’s School in Harpenden, it was his first selection for the senior side.
But Farrell can only see big things for the 21-year-old forward.
Speaking exclusively to the Herts Ad he said: “It’s good for Maro to get in. He’s going to be the new cap when he plays and it’s obviously well-deserved.
You may also want to watch:
“Everyone has seen his form over the last year or two. He’s in a massive vein of form and it’s shown by his inclusion in the squad.
“Hopefully he goes from strength-to-strength now and carries on the way he’s going.
- 1 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 4 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 5 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 6 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 7 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 8 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 9 From Bethlehem to Nazareth - St Albans walkers' pilgrimage fundraiser
- 10 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
“No doubt he will do.”
Farrell also thinks the squad can soon put the disappointment of last year’s World Cup behind them.
He said: “It’s a new and exciting squad. There’s obviously a few changes in the playing side but also in the coaching.
“We’re going into a little bit of unknown as players but it’s definitely exciting and something that we can’t wait to get into.”
Jones named his 33-man squad to meet up at Pennyhill Park on Sunday January 24, to begin preparation for England’s opening match against Scotland at Murrayfield on February 6.