Opening T20 loss for Harpenden
- Credit: Archant
Harpenden’s opening match of the Readers County T20 Cup ended in a five-wicket defeat to Reed.
The result means Harpenden are a game behind Reed and Sawbridgeworth, who beat Totteridge Millhillians, in Group B after the first round of matches.
It’s a disappointing start for Harpenden, who, ahead of the game, put a renewed focus on the competition.
Dan Blacktopp, who has started the season in a rich vein of form for club and county, was the only batsman who didn’t struggled mightily in the face of Reed’s bowling attack. His scored for 37 from 28 balls was 27 runs more than the next highest scorer, Will Jones.
The rest of the order fail to reach double figures as Harpenden were bowled out for 92 in 17.5 overs.
Reed had no problems reaching the target. A top of the order partnership of 46 from Richard Wharton (22) and Mitchell Cooper (23) had them halfway to the target in less than eight overs.
You may also want to watch:
Will Jones strangled the run rate in the middle overs and took three wickets but Reed were always on the front foot. Jack Tidey (6*) and Rob Lancaster (14*) had the honours of scoring the winning runs in the 18th over.
Harpenden face Totteridge in the second round of games on Sunday, May 24.
- 1 St Albans school teacher recognised with national award
- 2 Market gazebo trial delayed as council admits it cannot fund scheme
- 3 Home-owners' frustration over lack of action to tackle street flooding
- 4 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 5 Pupils pause to play at St Albans primary school
- 6 Twice the yumminess from St Albans baking company
- 7 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 8 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 9 Motorists who kill cats should be prosecuted, says St Albans family after pet's death
- 10 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land