Opening T20 loss for Harpenden
- Credit: Archant
Harpenden’s opening match of the Readers County T20 Cup ended in a five-wicket defeat to Reed.
The result means Harpenden are a game behind Reed and Sawbridgeworth, who beat Totteridge Millhillians, in Group B after the first round of matches.
It’s a disappointing start for Harpenden, who, ahead of the game, put a renewed focus on the competition.
Dan Blacktopp, who has started the season in a rich vein of form for club and county, was the only batsman who didn’t struggled mightily in the face of Reed’s bowling attack. His scored for 37 from 28 balls was 27 runs more than the next highest scorer, Will Jones.
The rest of the order fail to reach double figures as Harpenden were bowled out for 92 in 17.5 overs.
Reed had no problems reaching the target. A top of the order partnership of 46 from Richard Wharton (22) and Mitchell Cooper (23) had them halfway to the target in less than eight overs.
You may also want to watch:
Will Jones strangled the run rate in the middle overs and took three wickets but Reed were always on the front foot. Jack Tidey (6*) and Rob Lancaster (14*) had the honours of scoring the winning runs in the 18th over.
Harpenden face Totteridge in the second round of games on Sunday, May 24.
- 1 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 2 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 3 Appeal for witnesses after fatal road accident
- 4 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
- 5 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 6 Market trader pledges to shave beard for new St Albans recovery home
- 7 St Albans street remembers sacrifices of WWI heroes
- 8 No cars mean children can play out in streets
- 9 Aboyne Lodge celebrates new headteacher and revamp
- 10 Anti-vaxers condemned for intimidating behaviour and dangerous posters