Opening T20 loss for Harpenden
- Credit: Archant
Harpenden’s opening match of the Readers County T20 Cup ended in a five-wicket defeat to Reed.
The result means Harpenden are a game behind Reed and Sawbridgeworth, who beat Totteridge Millhillians, in Group B after the first round of matches.
It’s a disappointing start for Harpenden, who, ahead of the game, put a renewed focus on the competition.
Dan Blacktopp, who has started the season in a rich vein of form for club and county, was the only batsman who didn’t struggled mightily in the face of Reed’s bowling attack. His scored for 37 from 28 balls was 27 runs more than the next highest scorer, Will Jones.
The rest of the order fail to reach double figures as Harpenden were bowled out for 92 in 17.5 overs.
Reed had no problems reaching the target. A top of the order partnership of 46 from Richard Wharton (22) and Mitchell Cooper (23) had them halfway to the target in less than eight overs.
Will Jones strangled the run rate in the middle overs and took three wickets but Reed were always on the front foot. Jack Tidey (6*) and Rob Lancaster (14*) had the honours of scoring the winning runs in the 18th over.
Harpenden face Totteridge in the second round of games on Sunday, May 24.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 3 Careers advice for St Albans children in centuries gone by
- 4 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 5 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 6 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 7 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 8 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
- 9 Herts, camera, action! Turning film fantasy into reality with new screen tourism development programme
- 10 From St Albans to the Australian outback for The Tourist's Shalom Brune-Franklin in BBC One series