Opening day success for Greenwood Park
SHL Division 9
Northwood Town 167-9
Greenwood Park 168-3
Greenwood Park beat Northwood Town by seven wickets
GREENWOOD Park travelled to North London on the opening day of the 2011 league campaign.
Having won the toss Park elected to field with a breeze sweeping over the wicket keeping the temperature down nicely. Northwood set about at quite a pace early on with Park aiding my conceding a number of extras but also inducing a number of play and misses from the Town batsmen. Following a breakthrough by Ahmad, Ahmed was brought into the attack and set about steadying things supported by the debutant Jeffrey. Ahmed finished with a five-fer as just reward for plugging away for 18 overs. Atkins and Jeffrey also bowled well but somehow ended up wicketless.
Having restricted Northwood Town to 167 Park started like a steam train going at eight an over in the early stages with Baker in particular taking the attack to the town bowlers with a number of lusty blows. Town continued to change the bowling to try and get a breakthrough, but when this came it brought Eyre to the crease. Baker and Eyre set about accumulating the runs to take park towards the winning target. Baker passed his half century and then was undone by a quicker ball.
- 1 Body of man in his 40s found in Hemel Hempstead
- 2 Married at First Sight: St Albans' Whitney wants to walk down the aisle
- 3 Hertfordshire under Met Office yellow warning for storms
- 4 Main footpath closed while CCOS South work underway
- 5 Three rail and bus strikes in London and the East this week
- 6 Motorcyclist in serious but stable condition after B556 London Colney crash
- 7 Trains between St Albans and Luton cancelled due to fire
- 8 Could community banking hub open in Harpenden?
- 9 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 10 The latest court results for the St Albans area
Another wicket brought the skipper to the crease to finish the run chase off and secure a seven wicket win with Eyre not out with 36 at the end.
Next week Park entertain Allenburys.