Olympic medallist Marcus Ellis honoured by Commonwealth Games selection
- Credit: Archant
An Olympic medallist from St Albans is looking to add to his impressive career haul after being selected for Team England’s Commonwealth Games squad.
Marcus Ellis, who along with Chris Langridge won bronze at the Rio 2016 Olympics, is one of 10 badminton players to be chosen for the tournament that starts in Australia’s Gold Coast in April.
Six of the 10 were part of the team in Glasgow four years ago which collected five medals, including gold, but Ellis is making his Commonwealth debut.
He said: “I am really happy to be selected. It is always a great honour to represent your country in any event, but at a multi-sports event like the Commonwealth Games, it is a real honour.
“I will be making my debut at the games so it is something new and exciting for me.”
You may also want to watch:
English badminton has a rich heritage of winning medals at the games and tops the all-time record table with over 100.
- 1 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 2 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 3 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 4 From Bethlehem to Nazareth - St Albans walkers' pilgrimage fundraiser
- 5 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 6 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 7 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 8 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 9 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 10 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall