Olympic medallist Marcus Ellis honoured by Commonwealth Games selection
- Credit: Archant
An Olympic medallist from St Albans is looking to add to his impressive career haul after being selected for Team England’s Commonwealth Games squad.
Marcus Ellis, who along with Chris Langridge won bronze at the Rio 2016 Olympics, is one of 10 badminton players to be chosen for the tournament that starts in Australia’s Gold Coast in April.
Six of the 10 were part of the team in Glasgow four years ago which collected five medals, including gold, but Ellis is making his Commonwealth debut.
He said: “I am really happy to be selected. It is always a great honour to represent your country in any event, but at a multi-sports event like the Commonwealth Games, it is a real honour.
“I will be making my debut at the games so it is something new and exciting for me.”
You may also want to watch:
English badminton has a rich heritage of winning medals at the games and tops the all-time record table with over 100.
- 1 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 2 Aboyne Lodge celebrates new headteacher and revamp
- 3 St Albans Band Aid raises £2,200 for local charities
- 4 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
- 5 St Albans mum wins award for contribution to SEN
- 6 Mission success for Three Peaks Challenge team
- 7 Church unveils new eco-garden to support wildlife in St Albans
- 8 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 9 Remembering Morris Minor Owners Club treasurer and St Albans stalwart
- 10 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'