Olympic medallist Marcus Ellis honoured by Commonwealth Games selection
- Credit: Archant
An Olympic medallist from St Albans is looking to add to his impressive career haul after being selected for Team England’s Commonwealth Games squad.
Marcus Ellis, who along with Chris Langridge won bronze at the Rio 2016 Olympics, is one of 10 badminton players to be chosen for the tournament that starts in Australia’s Gold Coast in April.
Six of the 10 were part of the team in Glasgow four years ago which collected five medals, including gold, but Ellis is making his Commonwealth debut.
He said: “I am really happy to be selected. It is always a great honour to represent your country in any event, but at a multi-sports event like the Commonwealth Games, it is a real honour.
“I will be making my debut at the games so it is something new and exciting for me.”
English badminton has a rich heritage of winning medals at the games and tops the all-time record table with over 100.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 3 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 4 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 5 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 6 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 7 St Albans hockey player still going strong at 80
- 8 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
- 9 Caretakers of creation: church's work protecting environment
- 10 Author's new book explores mental health during the pandemic