Olympic hero Derek Redmond conjures up magic moment
PUPILS enjoyed a magic day with a motivational talk from an Olympic hero earlier this month. Eugene Matthias, President of the Magic Club of Great Britain, conjured up former World Championship 400m gold medallist and Olympian Derek Redmond to assist when
PUPILS enjoyed a magic day with a motivational talk from an Olympic hero earlier this month.
Eugene Matthias, President of the Magic Club of Great Britain, conjured up former World Championship 400m gold medallist and Olympian Derek Redmond to assist when the Going for GOLD Motivational Master Class Tour cast its spell on Wood End School, Harpenden.
Several Harpenden schools were invited to attend the day and there were more than 150 pupils from six schools present. The day started with motivational speaking by Derek and Eugene, and was followed in the afternoon by a host of different sporting activities.
The event was supported by the School Sports Partnership and local schools. Andy Heaps, PE Co-ordinator at the school, said: "Derek Redmond and Eugene Matthias thrilled the children and staff with their humour and stories of motivation and the whole day was a super success."
Redmond famously showed his determination in the 1992 Olympics in Barcelona when he struggled on to the finish of his 400m semi final after his hamstring snapped.
- 1 Property Spotlight: See inside this stunning £2.1m period home in St Albans
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 Extinction Rebellion protestors scale roof of Barclays in St Albans
- 4 Seventies St Albans is backdrop to new novel about secret Nazi treasure
- 5 St Albans MP unveils new state-of-the art teaching centre as part of multi-million pound Oaklands College redevelopment
- 6 Where and when can you see Santa's float in Harpenden?
- 7 Saints get another National League South rival after draw for FA Trophy
- 8 Sing out for Christmas with Clarence Park carol service
- 9 Local restaurants snap up accolades in Curry Awards
- 10 1,000 new homes planned next to village