Old Owens chase down St Albans
- Credit: Archant
Robert Dawson-Goodey hit an unbeaten 91 to hand Old Owens an eight-wicket win over St Albans in Saracens Herts Division Two A.
The opener scored a 42-ball half-century, rebuilding the innings after Ralph Lane was out for a duck, to put Old Owens in control of the match.
Fifteen-year-old Jacob Winfield made it a game to remember by taking his first senior wicket, trapping Mohammad Hammad Ahmed LBW for 20, but the result was quickly beyond St Albans.
Javed Mir smashed an unbeaten 56 in an innings that only contained boundaries as he and Dawson-Goodey chased down St Albans total of 176 with 28 overs and eight wickets in hand.
St Albans had looked like they would earn more than the eight point total they did after the middle order put in a good performance. Coming in after Sam Kindlen walked for four and Ian McKinlay for nine, Sandipan Chanda and Henry Tyler took advantage of the change bowling to push the score over 100.
You may also want to watch:
Rory Allan trapped Chanda in front of his stumps and Tyler picked out the mid-off fielder as the innings faltered.
Skipper Matt Howeson gave it a shot in the arm with his second half-century in as many games, following up last week’s 54 against Watford Town with 57.
- 1 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 2 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 3 St Albans house prices hit record high
- 4 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 5 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 6 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 7 11 things you might not know about St Albans' new Mayor
- 8 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 9 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 10 St Albans Folk Festival 2021 to go ahead this weekend
At 159-5 with 14 overs left, Ahmed accounted for both Howeson and Max Capaldi before the innings folded and Owens were donated eight extra overs and a target of 176, which, thanks to Dawson-Goodey, they reached with ease.