Old Owens chase down St Albans
- Credit: Archant
Robert Dawson-Goodey hit an unbeaten 91 to hand Old Owens an eight-wicket win over St Albans in Saracens Herts Division Two A.
The opener scored a 42-ball half-century, rebuilding the innings after Ralph Lane was out for a duck, to put Old Owens in control of the match.
Fifteen-year-old Jacob Winfield made it a game to remember by taking his first senior wicket, trapping Mohammad Hammad Ahmed LBW for 20, but the result was quickly beyond St Albans.
Javed Mir smashed an unbeaten 56 in an innings that only contained boundaries as he and Dawson-Goodey chased down St Albans total of 176 with 28 overs and eight wickets in hand.
St Albans had looked like they would earn more than the eight point total they did after the middle order put in a good performance. Coming in after Sam Kindlen walked for four and Ian McKinlay for nine, Sandipan Chanda and Henry Tyler took advantage of the change bowling to push the score over 100.
You may also want to watch:
Rory Allan trapped Chanda in front of his stumps and Tyler picked out the mid-off fielder as the innings faltered.
Skipper Matt Howeson gave it a shot in the arm with his second half-century in as many games, following up last week’s 54 against Watford Town with 57.
- 1 Affordable housing block given green light for garage site
- 2 St Albans Fireworks Spectacular returns to Verulamium Park for 2021 display
- 3 Police refuse to prosecute over Smallford Pits destruction
- 4 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 5 St Albans Feastival proves highlight of food and drink celebration
- 6 Drivers seriously injured after crash at Wheathampstead junction
- 7 St Albans MP Daisy Cooper condemns government for fuel crisis
- 8 Lib Dems: City centre road closures are blighting neighbourhoods
- 9 'It could have been fatal' - Tractor trailer overturns at London Colney
- 10 Property Spotlight: An Edwardian detached family home in central St Albans
At 159-5 with 14 overs left, Ahmed accounted for both Howeson and Max Capaldi before the innings folded and Owens were donated eight extra overs and a target of 176, which, thanks to Dawson-Goodey, they reached with ease.