Old Albanian within a whisker of international success in France
- Credit: Archant
A combined Old Albanian U13 & U14 team came within a whisker of winning an international rugby tournament in France.
OAs were the only English team in a line up which included French giants Toulouse, Stade Français and Racing Metro.
Despite subtle age-group law differences they didn’t lose a match all day, getting to the final where they drew 7-7 with a provincial side from the north of France.
Unfortunately they lost 9-8 on try countabck over the course of the day.
Tour manager Chris Butterworth said: “I’m extremely proud of the boys. They played fantastically against tough opponents and improved with every game.
You may also want to watch:
“We did far better than expected and we even had a scout from Racing showing an interest in our players.
“The final was extremely tense and could have gone either way and while we’re gutted not to have got the trophy we definitely left with our heads held high.”
- 1 Harpenden retailers call on county to end town centre road closures
- 2 It's showtime at Rothamsted with West End stars performing in 'Musicals at the Manor'
- 3 Freedom Day delay is a financial blow to local businesses
- 4 Village's first scarecrow trail raises £700 for school
- 5 Schoolgirl donates hair to Little Princess Trust
- 6 Property Spotlight: A penthouse apartment at St Albans' Gabriel Square
- 7 Check in to the Supper Club for something different
- 8 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 9 Save Symondshyde still waiting for inspector's report
- 10 Have your say on St Stephen Neighbourhood Plan