Old Albanian within a whisker of international success in France
- Credit: Archant
A combined Old Albanian U13 & U14 team came within a whisker of winning an international rugby tournament in France.
OAs were the only English team in a line up which included French giants Toulouse, Stade Français and Racing Metro.
Despite subtle age-group law differences they didn’t lose a match all day, getting to the final where they drew 7-7 with a provincial side from the north of France.
Unfortunately they lost 9-8 on try countabck over the course of the day.
Tour manager Chris Butterworth said: “I’m extremely proud of the boys. They played fantastically against tough opponents and improved with every game.
You may also want to watch:
“We did far better than expected and we even had a scout from Racing showing an interest in our players.
“The final was extremely tense and could have gone either way and while we’re gutted not to have got the trophy we definitely left with our heads held high.”
- 1 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
- 2 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 3 Appeal for witnesses after fatal road accident
- 4 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 5 Aboyne Lodge celebrates new headteacher and revamp
- 6 St Albans street remembers sacrifices of WWI heroes
- 7 Market trader pledges to shave beard for new St Albans recovery home
- 8 No cars mean children can play out in streets
- 9 Remembering Morris Minor Owners Club treasurer and St Albans stalwart
- 10 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images