Old Albanian Shanahan left angry at England Counties display
- Credit: Archant
James Shanahan was an annoyed man as his England Counties side fell to a 57-27 defeat to Scotland Club XV in Galashiels.
The Old Albanian player-coach heads up the coaching team for the counties side, which takes its players from the third tier of English rugby and below.
And despite including OA duo Chris May and Matthew Miles in the squad, Shanahan was disappointed at the way his side fell away in the second-half.
“We were nowhere near where we needed to be, or are capable of, tonight,” said Shanahan.
“What was most frustrating for us as a coaching to team to see was our lack of appetite for the physical confrontation.
“They bossed us in that area of the game, and our lineout creaked – that gave them plenty of front-foot ball.”
Shanahan said the team will be working on a few areas before facing France Federale on March 11 at Blackheath, and highlighted the need for raised levels of physicality.
- 1 Suspected loan sharks arrested in Hemel Hempstead
- 2 Meet the artist behind The Queen's Platinum Jubilee mural in St Albans
- 3 See inside this loft style apartment in a former hat factory
- 4 Building company resurfaces bridleway to provide safe route for riders and walkers
- 5 St Albans shop showcasing small independents by renting out shelves
- 6 Train timetable shakeup due in St Albans and Watford from May 15
- 7 Woman found in canal near M25 in Hertfordshire
- 8 Nearly 100 motorway cameras upgraded to catch drivers who flout red X rules
- 9 Harpenden neighbours condemn plans for builders merchant next to residential properties
- 10 Foodies queue to try street food sourced, cooked and served in Herts
“We will re-group and I have no doubt we’ll put in some real hard work in the lead up to that game and deliver a performance not only for us and those who come to watch, but the whole of the semi-professional and amateur game, who we represent.”