Old Albanian Shanahan left angry at England Counties display
- Credit: Archant
James Shanahan was an annoyed man as his England Counties side fell to a 57-27 defeat to Scotland Club XV in Galashiels.
The Old Albanian player-coach heads up the coaching team for the counties side, which takes its players from the third tier of English rugby and below.
And despite including OA duo Chris May and Matthew Miles in the squad, Shanahan was disappointed at the way his side fell away in the second-half.
“We were nowhere near where we needed to be, or are capable of, tonight,” said Shanahan.
“What was most frustrating for us as a coaching to team to see was our lack of appetite for the physical confrontation.
You may also want to watch:
“They bossed us in that area of the game, and our lineout creaked – that gave them plenty of front-foot ball.”
Shanahan said the team will be working on a few areas before facing France Federale on March 11 at Blackheath, and highlighted the need for raised levels of physicality.
- 1 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 2 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 3 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 4 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
- 5 Boy, 14, mugged in Harpenden park
- 6 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 7 Staff member assaulted at St Albans City FC match
- 8 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 9 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 10 Driver disqualified after St Albans crash
“We will re-group and I have no doubt we’ll put in some real hard work in the lead up to that game and deliver a performance not only for us and those who come to watch, but the whole of the semi-professional and amateur game, who we represent.”