Old Albanian Shanahan left angry at England Counties display
- Credit: Archant
James Shanahan was an annoyed man as his England Counties side fell to a 57-27 defeat to Scotland Club XV in Galashiels.
The Old Albanian player-coach heads up the coaching team for the counties side, which takes its players from the third tier of English rugby and below.
And despite including OA duo Chris May and Matthew Miles in the squad, Shanahan was disappointed at the way his side fell away in the second-half.
“We were nowhere near where we needed to be, or are capable of, tonight,” said Shanahan.
“What was most frustrating for us as a coaching to team to see was our lack of appetite for the physical confrontation.
You may also want to watch:
“They bossed us in that area of the game, and our lineout creaked – that gave them plenty of front-foot ball.”
Shanahan said the team will be working on a few areas before facing France Federale on March 11 at Blackheath, and highlighted the need for raised levels of physicality.
- 1 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 2 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 3 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 4 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 5 History comes to life at Celtic Harmony in Hertfordshire
- 6 Lost Morecambe & Wise episode to be screened on TV for first time in 50 years
- 7 Property Secrets: St Albans Green councillor Simon Grover
- 8 St Albans violent crime: Recreational drug users 'feeding' County Lines
- 9 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 10 Revealed: The areas of Hertfordshire with the most consistent house price growth
“We will re-group and I have no doubt we’ll put in some real hard work in the lead up to that game and deliver a performance not only for us and those who come to watch, but the whole of the semi-professional and amateur game, who we represent.”