Old Albanian unable to tame elements and the Lions
- Credit: DANNY LOO PHOTOGRAPHY
The wind caused both Old Albanian and Leicester Lions plenty of problems and while neither could stamp their authority on proceedings at Woollams, it was the visitors who left with the victory.
The 16-14 success was deserved in the end as the Lions enjoyed the majority of possession and used it that bit better than their hosts.
Territory was shared more equal and for most of the match, the OAs defence negated sharp attacks from increasingly confident opponents.
Ben Young ran matters for the visitors from fly-half and Nick Cairns was a constant thorn for Albanian from the base of the scrum.
Too often, however, a promising attack ignored the overlap and turned back inside where it met a staunch OA cover defence.
Young scored all of the Leicester points, with three penalties added to a converted try.
Elliott McPhun stole the show, in domestic terms, for Albanian and was constantly in the thick of the action.
- 1 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 2 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 3 Inquest jury to hear 999 call made as child choked at Radlett nursery
- 4 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 5 Comment: Mixed emotions as building work begins
- 6 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 7 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 8 The Zombies postpone forthcoming Harpenden tour dates to 2023
- 9 Green light given for St Albans City to hit the transfer market but patience is key says Allinson
- 10 'Visually striking' Chaos Dancing Cosmos installation at St Albans Museum + Gallery
His two tries were testament to what was possible with the proper application but his efforts alone were not quite enough to secure a victory.