Old Albanian back to winning ways against Dorking
- Credit: Archant
Old Albanians were pleased to return to winning ways this week with a 19-6 victory over a forthright Dorking side at Woollams.
Dorking competed well throughout, especially at set pieces. But the main difference between the sides was in the important matter of defence.
From the off Albanians provided sufficient ‘clatter’ when the ball was not in their hands to upset whatever attacking plans the visitors provided.
This ensured that, despite the error strewn nature of the match, the hosts were normally going to have the upper hand.
And there were plenty of errors.
You may also want to watch:
However coach James Shanahan said at the end of the encounter that mistakes will be ironed out in training and his team were happy enough to notch a three try to nil advantage.
And with other results in the league being as they were the management were happy to maintain the status quo.
- 1 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 4 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 5 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 6 From Bethlehem to Nazareth - St Albans walkers' pilgrimage fundraiser
- 7 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 8 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 9 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
- 10 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
Dorking, playing with a lively breeze, took the lead with two penalties from the boot of Matt Noble.
Matt Miles’ hard work allowed Shanahan close enough to the line for a popular try.
Skipper Billy Johnson clinically broke the line and Nick Foster’s pace and Matt Gallagher’s magnificent conversion gave A’s the half-time lead.
Charlie Hughes inspired his front row brethren with a sparkling burst to the Dorking line and he kindly allowed Johnson to finish the move.
Gallagher’s perfunctory conversion completed the scoring.