OAs win pre-season finale
- Credit: Archant
Spectators seemed agreed that this was a somewhat quiet performance by Old Albanian, writes Brian Quinn.
But it should be remembered that the visitors had had an unbeaten pre-season series going into this encounter and had bested National One opponents Blackheath in the process.
They provided an unusually combative challenge to OAs last Saturday and were in front for over an hour of the match.
Billy Johnson started in fine fettle, pirating the first try of the day in the opening moments when he drove through despairing tackles to the posts.
Canterbury responded manfully to equalise before the home side once more nudged in front.
You may also want to watch:
Two more cleverly taken scores saw the visitors again take the lead and hold it into the last quarter.
Canterbury were effective close to the ruck and maul and showed great effort in defence and it took until the last ten minutes for the hosts to really make their mark. However this was achieved when a certain tiredness overcame Canterbury and three tries were run in in this closing period.
- 1 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 2 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 3 St Albans house prices hit record high
- 4 Property Spotlight: A family home in Harpenden's sought after East Common
- 5 School buzzing about new Forest School and Hive building
- 6 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 7 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 8 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 9 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 10 SustFest hosting Open Food Gardens event across district
OAs open their new campaign away to Tynedale on Saturday in the knowledge that they have yet not won at Tynedale Park. They have been thoroughly tested in the three match pre-season series and can travel with some confidence to the north east.