OAs win pre-season finale
- Credit: Archant
Spectators seemed agreed that this was a somewhat quiet performance by Old Albanian, writes Brian Quinn.
But it should be remembered that the visitors had had an unbeaten pre-season series going into this encounter and had bested National One opponents Blackheath in the process.
They provided an unusually combative challenge to OAs last Saturday and were in front for over an hour of the match.
Billy Johnson started in fine fettle, pirating the first try of the day in the opening moments when he drove through despairing tackles to the posts.
Canterbury responded manfully to equalise before the home side once more nudged in front.
Two more cleverly taken scores saw the visitors again take the lead and hold it into the last quarter.
Canterbury were effective close to the ruck and maul and showed great effort in defence and it took until the last ten minutes for the hosts to really make their mark. However this was achieved when a certain tiredness overcame Canterbury and three tries were run in in this closing period.
- 1 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 2 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 3 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 4 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 5 Green light given for St Albans City to hit the transfer market but patience is key says Allinson
- 6 'Visually striking' Chaos Dancing Cosmos installation at St Albans Museum + Gallery
- 7 Obituary: Don Francis, former St Albans City and St Albans Sunday League star
- 8 Allinson happy with the reaction from St Albans City in the draw at Chelmsford
- 9 Saints respond to Cheshunt shocker with hard-fought draw at Chelmsford
- 10 St Albans hockey player still going strong at 80
OAs open their new campaign away to Tynedale on Saturday in the knowledge that they have yet not won at Tynedale Park. They have been thoroughly tested in the three match pre-season series and can travel with some confidence to the north east.