OAs win Cambs warm-up game
- Credit: Archant
As might be expected of a second warm up game, both good and not quite so good elements were exhibited at Grantchester Road last Saturday, writes Brian Quinn.
At the front, the forwards worked well most of the afternoon. In particular the urgency generated by the pack led to the retention of possession one might expect of a National One outfit. The scrum was dominant all day and the defensive lineout was outstanding. The turnover rate was especially satisfying.
Having said that, the attacking lineout suffered occasionally from a lack of precision and an improvement in timing will bring that right. Similarly, more attention needs to be spent on work in contact and speed to the breakdown could do with a bit more impetus.
The outsides provided proof that lessons had been learned from the visit to Bedford and the Cambridge back line was closed down much quicker than might otherwise be the case. The half backs again worked well from the base of the scrum and in broken play and the centre pairings imposed themselves sufficiently to allow the back three to plunder three of the OA tries.
However, for the second week in succession, OAs were reduced to 14 courtesy of a yellow card in the last quarter and during this period Cambridge helped themselves to no less than three tries. Canterbury may well inflict more damage if presented with the same circumstances on their visit next week.
Coach Andy Holloway said: “The lads are happy with developments so far and all of us are as excited as you would expect about the trip to Tynedale which starts our season.
“But first we have Canterbury to contend with next weekend. We welcome the challenge.”
- 1 Aldi prioritises St Albans for new store
- 2 St Albans woman defies odds to become oldest with Rett Syndrome
- 3 WATCH: Delivery driver caught fly-tipping in rural area
- 4 Is this the future of hospitality in St Albans?
- 5 IN PICTURES: Alban Pilgrimage returns to city
- 6 10 reasons to visit this sustainable, family-owned farm shop in St Albans
- 7 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 8 Call for proper testing for new Charter Market stalls
- 9 St Albans paedophile jailed for trying to arrange online abuse
- 10 St Albans Striders shine at Summer Solstice 10k
Final score: OAs 43 Cambridge 33