OAs warm up for play-offs with huge victory over Launceston
- Credit: Archant
Old Albanian Rugby Club finished their National Two South regular season off with a thumping 90-3 win over rock-bottom Launceston at Woollams.
Albanian’s substantial win only served to emphasise the gulf between the hosts who have enjoyed a mostly propitious season and the visitors who have had it all to do since before the campaign even started.
It speaks well of the Launceston team and management that they were able to maintain a credible side throughout a disaster-ridden year and surely this will hold them in good stead in their coming battle in level five.
They have gained admirers with their attitude and discipline.
They even had the temerity to take the lead on this blustery day courtesy of a Fraser Honey penalty five minutes in.
You may also want to watch:
Scoring wise that is as good as it got for the Cornishmen who were mostly on the back foot from then on.
Yet their defence earned praise from the spectators who cheered their efforts lustily and it was 10 minutes before the Albanian attack crossed the line.
- 1 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 2 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 3 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 4 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 5 Harpenden's Olympic hero watches daughter win gold
- 6 Bee inspired by new display at St Albans restaurant
- 7 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 8 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 9 Area Guide: The popular Highfield area of St Albans
- 10 Why has it taken so long for Young's to open St Albans pub?
This was achieved by the impressive figure of loose head prop Charlie Hughes who tore up his front row union card in cavalier fashion and went on to complete a hat-trick.
Albanians ran in a total of 14 tries evenly split between the halves, 10 of which were converted; Max Malins getting seven and Morgan Thompson three.
Cambridge’s win against relegated Dorking means the Albanians will face Sedgley Park in the play-off on May 14.