OAs’ U17s crowned league champions
- Credit: Archant
Old Albanian’s U17 side was crowned Herts/Middx Champions for the second time in three years after a comprehensive 50-5 victory on Sunday against Cheshunt.
With backs Louis Dromard and Josh Southworth both scoring hat-tricks, it was a day of champagne rugby. A strong forward platform with scrum and lineout domination allowed OAs’ pacey back line to run riot.
The team remain unbeaten this season in competitive games with the only defeat in a friendly before Christmas. With the County Cup final against Bishop’s Stortford later in April and a National Plate quarter-final next week they are still on track to win three trophies .
The highlights of the season have been a 17-10 league win against local rivals Harpenden, who were big favourites having recruited heavily over the last two seasons, and a 17-14 away win against Stortfor.
Head coach Andy Graham said: “Whilst maintaining our five year unbeaten league record against local rivals Harpenden and two titles in three years was great, more importantly we have maintained a strong depth of players which has enabled us to achieve great results despite injuries and school commitments.
You may also want to watch:
“We have shown great maturity at times in tough games which has been fantastic as well as playing entertaining rugby.”
OAs’ were also one of the few clubs to run two teams at U17 with the B team finishing runners up in division three.
- 1 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 4 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 5 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 6 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 7 From Bethlehem to Nazareth - St Albans walkers' pilgrimage fundraiser
- 8 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
- 9 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 10 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly