OAs’ U17s crowned league champions
- Credit: Archant
Old Albanian’s U17 side was crowned Herts/Middx Champions for the second time in three years after a comprehensive 50-5 victory on Sunday against Cheshunt.
With backs Louis Dromard and Josh Southworth both scoring hat-tricks, it was a day of champagne rugby. A strong forward platform with scrum and lineout domination allowed OAs’ pacey back line to run riot.
The team remain unbeaten this season in competitive games with the only defeat in a friendly before Christmas. With the County Cup final against Bishop’s Stortford later in April and a National Plate quarter-final next week they are still on track to win three trophies .
The highlights of the season have been a 17-10 league win against local rivals Harpenden, who were big favourites having recruited heavily over the last two seasons, and a 17-14 away win against Stortfor.
Head coach Andy Graham said: “Whilst maintaining our five year unbeaten league record against local rivals Harpenden and two titles in three years was great, more importantly we have maintained a strong depth of players which has enabled us to achieve great results despite injuries and school commitments.
You may also want to watch:
“We have shown great maturity at times in tough games which has been fantastic as well as playing entertaining rugby.”
OAs’ were also one of the few clubs to run two teams at U17 with the B team finishing runners up in division three.
- 1 Aboyne Lodge celebrates new headteacher and revamp
- 2 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 3 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
- 4 St Albans mum wins award for contribution to SEN
- 5 St Albans City get the FA Cup train moving with replay success over Concord
- 6 Church unveils new eco-garden to support wildlife in St Albans
- 7 St Albans Band Aid raises £2,200 for local charities
- 8 Mission success for Three Peaks Challenge team
- 9 Remembering Morris Minor Owners Club treasurer and St Albans stalwart
- 10 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works