Herts Ad Sunday League: Oaks celebrate recording their 25th year in the league
- Credit: Archant
Sunday league clubs can come and go in short order which makes the milestone reached by one of the Herts Ad Sunday League sides even more noteworthy.
Oaks have just celebrated their 25th year and still have original founders Daryl ‘Denz’ Parker and Eddie Donoghue among their number.
Parker has been secretary throughout their history while Donoghue has been player or manager for the same period, scoring nine goals along the way.
There has been some success too.
They have three title wins in Divisions One, Four and Five as well as runners-up on six occasions.
You may also want to watch:
Their only cup success was in the Junior Cup in the 2010-11 season but again there are a few silver medals in that competition and the Intermediate Cup, losing to Skew Bridge in 2002-03.
The club also ran a reserve team for seven seasons.
- 1 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 2 All you need to know about St Albans Cathedral's Alban Pilgrimage this year
- 3 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 4 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 5 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 6 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 7 Harpenden constituency to go under proposed boundary changes
- 8 Take a trip to the seaside for fun adaptation of The Comedy of Errors at the Roman Theatre festival
- 9 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
- 10 Quarantine hotel set up in St Albans
Scoring goals has never been much of a problem. Jason Bailey was the first prolific striker, leading the scoring charts in four of the first five seasons and hitting 31 goals in year one.
The top goal machine was Harry Hunt who managed 146 goals in a six-season spell while Paul Goom hit 58 in just two years.
Julian Phillips and Haydn Williams are among the club’s long-serving players. Phillips scored 97 times over 19 seasons while Williams hit 93 in 14 years.