Oaklands Wolves youngsters start play-offs with big win over rivals Luton
- Credit: Archant
Oaklands Wolves U16s produced a sizzling performance to sink Luton 81-56 in the first round of the Basketball England play-offs.
The Oaklands College-based youngsters are one of six teams in the club to reach the end of season showdown this year after finishing fourth in the Premier Central Division.
Luton started well in the Oaklands Sportszone, building a lead of eight points within the first few minutes.
But the composed Wolves closed the gap by the end of the first quarter and continued their strong play in the second, going on an impressive run to take a 25-point lead.
And despite the visitors’ best efforts in the second half, the Wolf Pack’s experience saw them close out the game comfortably.
You may also want to watch:
Tom Hughes, Oaklands starting point guard, said: “Going into the game you could feel the tension. Both teams wanted to win because of the rivalry.
“Every time we scored I felt us getting closer to winning and when we did win it felt great.”
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 5 St Albans City over bad start says Chris Winton as improved results and performances continue against Havant
- 6 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game
- 7 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 8 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 9 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 10 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
Oaklands will face West Herts Warriors in the next round on Saturday.