Oaklands Wolves youngsters start play-offs with big win over rivals Luton
- Credit: Archant
Oaklands Wolves U16s produced a sizzling performance to sink Luton 81-56 in the first round of the Basketball England play-offs.
The Oaklands College-based youngsters are one of six teams in the club to reach the end of season showdown this year after finishing fourth in the Premier Central Division.
Luton started well in the Oaklands Sportszone, building a lead of eight points within the first few minutes.
But the composed Wolves closed the gap by the end of the first quarter and continued their strong play in the second, going on an impressive run to take a 25-point lead.
And despite the visitors’ best efforts in the second half, the Wolf Pack’s experience saw them close out the game comfortably.
You may also want to watch:
Tom Hughes, Oaklands starting point guard, said: “Going into the game you could feel the tension. Both teams wanted to win because of the rivalry.
“Every time we scored I felt us getting closer to winning and when we did win it felt great.”
- 1 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 4 St Albans house prices hit record high
- 5 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 6 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 7 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 8 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 9 Property Spotlight: A family home in Harpenden's sought after East Common
- 10 From Bethlehem to Nazareth - St Albans walkers' pilgrimage fundraiser
Oaklands will face West Herts Warriors in the next round on Saturday.