Oaklands Wolves youngsters start play-offs with big win over rivals Luton
- Credit: Archant
Oaklands Wolves U16s produced a sizzling performance to sink Luton 81-56 in the first round of the Basketball England play-offs.
The Oaklands College-based youngsters are one of six teams in the club to reach the end of season showdown this year after finishing fourth in the Premier Central Division.
Luton started well in the Oaklands Sportszone, building a lead of eight points within the first few minutes.
But the composed Wolves closed the gap by the end of the first quarter and continued their strong play in the second, going on an impressive run to take a 25-point lead.
And despite the visitors’ best efforts in the second half, the Wolf Pack’s experience saw them close out the game comfortably.
Tom Hughes, Oaklands starting point guard, said: “Going into the game you could feel the tension. Both teams wanted to win because of the rivalry.
“Every time we scored I felt us getting closer to winning and when we did win it felt great.”
- 1 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 2 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 3 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 4 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 5 Green light given for St Albans City to hit the transfer market but patience is key says Allinson
- 6 'Visually striking' Chaos Dancing Cosmos installation at St Albans Museum + Gallery
- 7 Obituary: Don Francis, former St Albans City and St Albans Sunday League star
- 8 Allinson happy with the reaction from St Albans City in the draw at Chelmsford
- 9 Saints respond to Cheshunt shocker with hard-fought draw at Chelmsford
- 10 St Albans hockey player still going strong at 80
Oaklands will face West Herts Warriors in the next round on Saturday.