Oaklands Wolves get some success before WBBL Trophy dreams end
- Credit: LELLO AMETRANO
Oaklands Wolves run at the WBBL Trophy came to an end at Leicester Riders but not before they picked up their first win of the season.
The 61-52 success away to Cardiff Met Archers was thoroughly deserved after a strong finish to the first-round match saw them edge clear of their Welsh hosts.
The teams had gone into the final 10 minutes with just one point between them, Wolves ahead 45-44, but the visitors flew out the gates in the final period of play.
And led by Louise Rouse’s 15 points they pulled away from the Met Mystics in the clutch. Cardiff fought their way back to within four points of the Oaklands lead, but the Wolves held on for that crucial first win of the season.
Greeta Uprus chipped in with 14 points and Dorka Boros 12.
Leicester proved too strong in round two as they closed out an 81-57 victory but Uprus and Rouse were again the St Albans side leaders.
The Estonian hit 22 points while Rouse, a former St John Lawes pupil in Harpenden, got another 13.
- 1 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 2 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 3 Lost Morecambe & Wise episode to be screened on TV for first time in 50 years
- 4 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 5 Do you remember when The Inbetweeners came to St Albans?
- 6 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 7 St Albans barber and landlord hit by Covid closures due to 'pingdemic'
- 8 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 9 Ticket holders need to provide their COVID status for entry to this year's Slam Dunk Festival in Hatfield
- 10 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire