Basketball: Good pre-season for Oaklands Wolves
- Credit: Archant
Oaklands Wolves have been hard at work in pre-season for the past month as they prepare to embark on their third year in the Women’s British Basketball League.
The St Albans outfit have shown their intent by returning no fewer than 10 players from last year’s squad while adding three new internationals so far to the line-up for this campaign.
The signs are good for the season as this past Saturday the Wolves were able to beat last years WBBL champions Sevenoaks Suns in their final pre-season preparation game in front of a packed crowd and lead sponsors Berry Recruitment.
With their first league match against Barking Abbey London Lions at Barking Leisure Centre on Saturday (2pm), coach Ryan said: “Pre-season has gone very well, the new players have settled well and the group are already a strong unit.
“We have aspirations to shoot up the league this season, we know the league now and there are many changes in squads so for us to be able to have continuity and add quality puts us in good shape.
You may also want to watch:
“We will know what that translates to when we face a new look Barking this weekend, but regardless of the outcome we will judge ourselves on where we finish in May.”
Director of Basketball Michael Ball is excited about the new term, adding: “Part of this excitement is due to the extension of our partnership with Berry Recruitment.
- 1 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 2 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 3 St Albans house prices hit record high
- 4 Property Spotlight: A family home in Harpenden's sought after East Common
- 5 School buzzing about new Forest School and Hive building
- 6 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 7 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 8 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 9 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 10 SustFest hosting Open Food Gardens event across district
“They have continued to believe in our WBBL professional women’s team by confirming their sponsorship and have also decided to support our junior teams.
“This really is great news and means we can further develop our community youth programme in particular with the creation of girls and boys teams at the under-12 age groups. Both Oaklands College Wolves and Berry Recruitment base their success on valuing people and I am sure we are going to have a great season together!”
Wolves play their first home game of the season on October 13 (3.45pm), when Sevenoaks Suns visit Oaklands College.