Oaklands Wolves pick up mixed bag of results on football's return
- Credit: OAKLANDS WOLVES FC
Oaklands Wolves have started with a mixed bag of results in the Beds & Herts Women's Football League Spring Cup.
Their first match since December lockdown ended in a 3-1 defeat to Hemel Hempstead Town, although they were boosted by the return of fan favourite Kayla Johnson to the squad.
Grainne Kellett was rueing the lack of goal-line technology when her shot smacked against the underside of the crossbar and bounced down and then out and by half-time Hemel had the lead.
Hemel too had a shot cannon off the underside of the bar without a goal being awarded but they were 3-0 up by the time Ellie Lovelock scored late on for Wolves.
Lovelock was the scorer in Oaklands' second game although this strike proved decisive, giving her side a 1-0 win over Garston.
It came from the penalty spot and again it was late on, awarded after a cross from Ellen Salter was handled.
The victory means all four teams in the group have three points from two matches.
- 1 May 17: What can open when COVID-19 lockdown rules ease
- 2 County council results by St Albans division in full
- 3 Elections: Liberal Democrats take control of St Albans district council
- 4 Whipsnade Zoo to celebrate 90th birthday with fun family activities
- 5 Five Guys coming to St Albans
- 6 Council elections: who are St Albans Conservative candidates?
- 7 Council elections: who are St Albans Liberal Democrat candidates?
- 8 Do you remember long-lost St Julian's Farm?
- 9 Mental Health Awareness Week: Easing children’s worries and fears after lockdown
- 10 GP to retire after 52 years in the NHS