Oaklands Wolves enjoy success at East Region three-on-three basketball tournament
- Credit: OAKLANDS WOLVES
There was success for Oaklands Wolves junior basketball players at the East Region U15 3-on-3 tournament.
The club sent two girls' squads and a boys' team to the competition which was being used as the first stage of selection for the 2006 and 2007-born England national teams, and the girls' black team reaching the final before losing to Brentwood Fire.
The squad of Amye Swinney, Lila Birtwisle and Caitlin Ryan together with the Wolves' white team containing Tiff Tyson, Lilly Harkness and Jemima Uzoka enjoyed some good wins and narrow losses but a third-place finish for the blacks got them to the semi-final, the whites missing out on points scored.
Blacks beat Ipswich with three seconds left on the clock but Brentwood were superb in the final, winning 16-8.
The boys battled through a tough group and were one second away from a place in the semi-final when they conceded a basket to Brentwood Leopards, the game finishing in a draw and leaving them fifth.
In common with the girls though, the majority of the squad are eligible for next season's East of England programme.
- 1 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 2 Seven men arrested on suspicion of St Albans burglary
- 3 Video shows thief stealing parcel from St Albans home doorstep
- 4 Primary school rated 'Good' in latest Ofsted report
- 5 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 6 St Albans Local Plan delayed to autumn 2025
- 7 Honest truths spilled in Saints dressing room after humbling FA Trophy defeat to Cheshunt
- 8 St Albans' Rachel Andrews stars alongside James Nesbitt and Eddie Izzard in new Netflix series Stay Close
- 9 This is Harpenden: faces of town's residents feature in new exhibition
- 10 After another near miss, crossing desperately needed outside St Albans school