Oaklands win National Championship
BASKETBELL: IN A nail-biting final, Oaklands College Girls’ Academy Basketball team won its first National Championship against Loreto College at the Doug Ellis Sports Centre in Birmingham.
Beating Loreto 75-64, the Oaklands College Girls’ Basketball Academy is only in its second year of running making the victory even more impressive.
The Women’s Basketball programme combines training with academic study and gives girls an equal opportunity as boys to compete at different levels. Students join this programme from the UK and abroad and in its two years the team has gone from strength to strength.
Oaklands College coach Michael Ball, said: “This programme has been a fantastic success so far and it’s a testament to girls’ hard work and dedication that we have become the 2011 BCS National Cup Women’s Champions.
“Loreto College also played brilliantly and made us fight hard for that final win. I am so proud of what we have achieved and hope that this will give the programme a further boost. ”
Zoe Hancock, interim principal at Oaklands College, commented: “It’s so exciting to see the Girls’ Basketball Academy programme flourishing since its launch. There is a real team spirit among our learners and this combined with effective training, enthusiasm and academic achievement has lead up to this moment.”
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 From St Albans to the Australian outback for The Tourist's Shalom Brune-Franklin in BBC One series
- 3 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 4 Careers advice for St Albans children in centuries gone by
- 5 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 6 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 7 Ian Allinson praises 'unbelievable shift' of St Albans City players against Maidstone
- 8 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 9 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 10 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival