Oaklands students and Harpenden player called up for England U20 squad
TWO OAKLANDS College students and a Harpenden RFC player have been called up to the England U20 squad.
Nick Tompkins and Nathan Earle, both Oaklands, and Maro Itoje are part of the 32-man group hoping to win a fourth successive U20 Six Nations title in the New Year before heading to New Zealand to defend their IRB Junior World Championship trophy next June.
All three are members of the Saracens Academy and have come through the England ranks, playing in the U17 and U18 sides before the call up to the U20 squad.
Coaches Nick Walshe said: “We’re excited to work with the players in our squad. We have a good blend of guys with experience and new talent coming in from the Under 18s set-up.
“There is always huge competition at this age grade and a lot of players getting first team rugby at their clubs, it’s tough to narrow that down to a group of 32 and we expect players to continue to push for inclusion.
You may also want to watch:
“Competition for places will be high, but that’s just what you want. We had a successful season last season and the aim is to perform even better.”
- 1 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
- 2 Do you remember when The Inbetweeners came to St Albans?
- 3 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 4 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 5 Urgent care services at St Albans hospital could become appointment only
- 6 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 7 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 8 Lost Morecambe & Wise episode to be screened on TV for first time in 50 years
- 9 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
- 10 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?