Oaklands students and Harpenden player called up for England U20 squad
TWO OAKLANDS College students and a Harpenden RFC player have been called up to the England U20 squad.
Nick Tompkins and Nathan Earle, both Oaklands, and Maro Itoje are part of the 32-man group hoping to win a fourth successive U20 Six Nations title in the New Year before heading to New Zealand to defend their IRB Junior World Championship trophy next June.
All three are members of the Saracens Academy and have come through the England ranks, playing in the U17 and U18 sides before the call up to the U20 squad.
Coaches Nick Walshe said: “We’re excited to work with the players in our squad. We have a good blend of guys with experience and new talent coming in from the Under 18s set-up.
“There is always huge competition at this age grade and a lot of players getting first team rugby at their clubs, it’s tough to narrow that down to a group of 32 and we expect players to continue to push for inclusion.
You may also want to watch:
“Competition for places will be high, but that’s just what you want. We had a successful season last season and the aim is to perform even better.”
- 1 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 2 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 3 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 4 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 5 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 6 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
- 7 From supplying secret agents to headmaster's secretary, Patricia celebrates centenary
- 8 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 9 Urgent care upgrade at St Albans City Hospital moves ahead
- 10 Boy, 14, mugged in Harpenden park