OA U16s hold out against Barnet
Herts/Middx League Barnet Elizabethans 7 Old Albanian U16s 12 OLD Albanian U16s travelled to Barnet Elizabethans on Sunday for a crucial Herts Middx League encounter. To keep their promotion hopes alive a win was vital. The Woollams boys started the game
Barnet Elizabethans 7 Old Albanian U16s 12
OLD Albanian U16s travelled to Barnet Elizabethans on Sunday for a crucial Herts Middx League encounter.
To keep their promotion hopes alive a win was vital. The Woollams boys started the game full of confidence and scored a try within four minutes. The forwards were once again in the thick of it and showing excellent ball retention they created a driving maul 15 metres out. They proved unstoppable and No.8 Ed Mellen scored. The conversion was added to make it 7-0 to OA.
You may also want to watch:
As the ground thawed running with the ball became more difficult in the mud. However all the pressure was with OA. From a lineout earned on the Barnet five metre line the ball was won by the hard working Charlie Deacon, a neat pass to Will Tominey saw him run through two defenders he in turn popped an inside pass to Max Cross who burst through to score. The conversion was missed.
The second half was a different story as Barnet showed much more intent. Making good use of the kick ahead and chase they created uncertainty in the visitor's defence. In an attempt to weather a series of pick and drives near their line the OAs conceded a penalty try and with the two extra points added the score now stood at 12-7.
- 1 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 2 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 3 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 4 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
- 5 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 6 Bee inspired by new display at St Albans restaurant
- 7 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 8 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 9 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 10 The latest court results for the St Albans area
Unable to add to their first half score OA defended every break.
Man of the Match Lewis Gaffney put in a huge tackle on Barnet's big lock two minutes from time to deny an almost certain try and thankfully the final whistle came not a moment too soon.