Champions OA Saints start play-offs with emphatic win over Lichfield
- Credit: Archant
OA Saints secured an emphatic bonus point 27-15 win over Lichfield in the opening round of the Championship play-off.
After winning the Championship South title, Saints and the other top four sides in the north and south divisions now meet in a mini-league.
This victory puts them top after one round of matches.
They wasted no time setting about their visitors, racing into a 17-3 lead after just 15 minutes courtesy of tries from player of the match Steph Plunkett and two from Claire McKenna.
Lichfield scored on the stroke of half-time and late in the second-half too but by then Plunkett, with a wonderful solo run, and Megan Murphy had stretched the Saints lead and sealed the win.
You may also want to watch:
Forwards coach Harry Mack said: "We wanted to make a statement and we achieved that. The girls were full of confidence and played with real physicality and accuracy."
Saints go to Cheltenham Tigers on Sunday for round two, looking to build upon an impressive run of form.
- 1 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 2 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 3 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 4 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
- 5 Bee inspired by new display at St Albans restaurant
- 6 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 7 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 8 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 9 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 10 Why has it taken so long for Young's to open St Albans pub?