OA Saints move within one game of perfect season
- Credit: Archant
Newly-crowned league champions OA Saints are one game away from registering a perfect after winning their penultimate contest 14-5 against Hammersmith and Fulham on Sunday.
OAs had already wrapped up the Championship 2 South East title heading into the game, but there was no easing up as they had the chance to take their league record to 13 wins from 13 games.
It started well for the Saints as an early score from centre Jodie Rettie after a midfield line break gave them a 7-0 lead. Fly-half Nicky Cameron added a second five minutes before the break to put OAs in control. A clash of heads saw Rettie substituted a minute later and the Saints had to reshuffle their back line.
Hammersmith started the second half strongly and scored within two minutes of the restart, making it 14-5. The rest of the half was an end-to-end affair, with neither team able to cross the line but both trying valiantly to do so.
Line breaks from wing Claire McKenna and centre Robyn King were stopped just short, while the Hammers made good use of the strong wind and wide pitch to create overlaps. The final score remained 14-5 and the Saints celebrated their league title in style.
You may also want to watch:
Forward of the match was no.8 Ange Wadham and back of the match was scrum-half Maddie Gunnell.
Next week Saints take on New Ash Green at Woollams, kick-off 2pm, in the final league match of the season, but there is still plenty of Saints rugby this season, with a cup quarter-final against Henley on February 22 and the annual charity match against the Army on March 14 for Georgie Robinson Memorial Day.
- 1 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 4 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 5 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 6 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 7 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 8 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 9 From Bethlehem to Nazareth - St Albans walkers' pilgrimage fundraiser
- 10 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall