OA Saints maintain top spot ahead of Blackheath clash
- Credit: Archant
OA Saints maintained their unbeaten record and top spot in the Championship South East 2 table with a 17-8 win over Hammersmith and Fulham.
Flanker Caroline Pretty calmed OA Saints nerves after a difficult start to the game due to the weather and an ankle injury to Emma Cramphorn. Katie Robertson kicked the conversion and was accurate with her next kick to extend Saints’ advantage after Hammersmith and Fulham had dotted down.
The hosts responded with a penalty of their own to trail by two points, 10-8, at the break.
The second half was equally as hard-fought and a single score settle the win. A cross-field kick from centre Sophie Tyler on the Saints 22, and a fortunate bounce of the ball, allowed winger Claire McKenna to scoop up the ball and touch down.
The Saints travel to second-placed Blackheath on Sunday. Blackheath had their game against Beckenham cancelled this weekend due to a waterlogged pitch so will be coming into the game fresher than Saints.
You may also want to watch:
• Back of the match was Allie Nelkon at outside centre.
• Forward of the match was pack leader Holly Watson.
- 1 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 2 Shortages crisis hits district
- 3 Picture special: Pub in the Park returns to St Albans
- 4 Neighbouring councils reject Bowmans Cross development
- 5 St Albans school adopts new wellbeing app
- 6 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 7 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 8 Property Spotlight: A £2m family home on one of Harpenden's most desirable roads
- 9 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 10 Help reunite toy milk jug with new owner