OA Saints maintain top spot ahead of Blackheath clash
- Credit: Archant
OA Saints maintained their unbeaten record and top spot in the Championship South East 2 table with a 17-8 win over Hammersmith and Fulham.
Flanker Caroline Pretty calmed OA Saints nerves after a difficult start to the game due to the weather and an ankle injury to Emma Cramphorn. Katie Robertson kicked the conversion and was accurate with her next kick to extend Saints’ advantage after Hammersmith and Fulham had dotted down.
The hosts responded with a penalty of their own to trail by two points, 10-8, at the break.
The second half was equally as hard-fought and a single score settle the win. A cross-field kick from centre Sophie Tyler on the Saints 22, and a fortunate bounce of the ball, allowed winger Claire McKenna to scoop up the ball and touch down.
The Saints travel to second-placed Blackheath on Sunday. Blackheath had their game against Beckenham cancelled this weekend due to a waterlogged pitch so will be coming into the game fresher than Saints.
• Back of the match was Allie Nelkon at outside centre.
• Forward of the match was pack leader Holly Watson.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 3 Careers advice for St Albans children in centuries gone by
- 4 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 5 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 6 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 7 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 8 St Albans hockey player still going strong at 80
- 9 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
- 10 Area Guide: The busy Hertfordshire town of Hemel Hempstead