OA Saints knock Romford out of Intermediate Cup
- Credit: Archant
OA Saints are through to the next round of the RFU Intermediate Cup after handing Romford and Gidea Park a 21-10 loss.
The conditions played a major part in the game as the wet ball meant the Saints could not hit their usual high-scoring rhythm – they have scored 277 points in six league contests this season.
Still, they found the three tries needed to win the tie and their stifling defence took care of the rest.
After beating Romford in the league 40-7 on the same pitch, a confident OAs took control early and after 11 minutes they scored their first try. Allie Nelkon took a quick-tap penalty and fed Sophie Tyler who went over. Katie Robertson added the extras.
Another penalty four minutes later saw Nicky Cameron kick into space behind the defence. Ange Wadham chased down the ball carrier, forced a turnover and Cameron picked it up to score.
You may also want to watch:
Robertson was perfect with the kick and, on 30 minutes, so were Romford as they notched their first three points. The score galvanised Romford and they worked the ball out wide to touch down in the corner and turnaround 14-10 behind.
Penalties disrupted the flow of the second half but OA’s defence never allowed Romford to build on their momentum. The visitors put the game to bed when Cameron went over. Robertson kicked the conversion to take her season’s point tally to 104.
- 1 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 2 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 3 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 4 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 5 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 6 All you need to know about St Albans Cathedral's Alban Pilgrimage this year
- 7 Diamond couple mark anniversary in style
- 8 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
- 9 Take a trip to the seaside for fun adaptation of The Comedy of Errors at the Roman Theatre festival
- 10 St Albans woman recognised with Queen's Award